Chapter 17

"I pray you would not fret so Child. You know it makes me nervous." Mrs. Stockmann who was seated on the other side of the carriage told her and Nalia let out a sigh despite the fact that she did not wish to appear rude.

"Forgive me please but I am too tired to even lift my head and it is no help that the roads are so rough."she said letting the frustrations she felt sip through.

Mrs. Stockmann smiled sympathetically and adjusted Nalia's stocked foot on her lap. "You sure you cannot give me a foot rub, they do help me so."

Mrs. Stockmann chuckled then covered her mouth with her handkerchief and Nalia tried to hold back her scowl but it won out and darkened when her companion laughed all the more.

"Forgive me please; It is simply that you just played the part of a pampered aristocrat.That too an English one."

" I beg your pardon," she whispered,leaning forward to dramatically gasp her chest, " I do happen to recall a certain wedding even though in a blur and thereafter my being addressed as her grace the duchess of Havcrove.That means..." her words ended as the carriage was jostled and the velvet curtains were blown opened to reveal their carriage approaching the house. The old faded yellow walls of the manor looked welcoming to her and she smiled despite her tension. "well here we are." Ms.Stockmann said as she placed the soft satin sandals back on the lady's feet. Their carriage door was open and Nalia prepared herself to alight and she smiled despite her exhaustion. She thanked the footman a young lad she recalled from her stay here before, why it had been a year already. Her maroon bonnet and the matching traveling dress was trimmed with a beautiful white lace on the sleeves and skirt. She smiled again as she saw the other five carriages come up the hill. She was now a proud owner of six new carriages all plush. They were black lacquer carriages, with wide glass windows and velvet interiors. The trimming was tastefully done in gold from Richard's gold mine and they were all driven by a team of 6 horses. She knew for sure they had cost a fortune but it was a combined gift from her bother and Mikail her head of the bratva as a gift for her pregnancy or so they said, she would need a smooth travel. The extra adjustments made on her ship were just as plush and comfortable to adjust for her easier travels during her pregnancy. Yes, her family was doing quite well for themselves it seemed.

As the other carriages arrived, Nalia walked, dragging her aching feet to the carriage in the middle where the nannies sat watching over the children. They were still asleep and that was when it struck Nalia that it was just turning to dawn. She instructed the nannies to gently take the children to the nursery and moved to the next carriage where Merith and Kat were in. She saw Merith struggle to move her body out of the carriage and could not help but chuckle and the sound was carried with the wind. " By all means go ahead, laugh at my awkward movement," she said ,blowing her blond curls out of her face ,her arms akimbo on her bulgeoning stomach, "the good thing is that you too look just as dreadful."she finished with a wicked smile. Nalia stared at Merith for a shocked second and then backed into laughter again. "It would appear my friend that we have indeed corrupted your good morals look wickedly delighted you are at the fact that I am looking 'dreadful' where, pray tell, are all your good English lessons. "

Setting her feet delicately on the ground and stretching herself Kat answered for Merith with a, " It seems we left them in the sea Lya."

When Nalia fixed her gaze to the other carriage, she saw Masha and Nicola were already walking towards the cliff to view the waterfall which in the light of the rising sun was reflecting a beautiful rainbow and the colors drew such attention to them.

"Come on, do hurry before it passes." Masha yelled over her back.

"Oh do run ladies, unless you are too heavy. " Nicola challenged with a giggle.

Nalia placed a hand over her heart in faux anger and turned her gaze to Merith. " My, Mer, did you hear that, they say we are too fat to run, can you believe it? "

Merith pouted in mock anger and added, " Why, if 'tis a matter of distance, we did run up and down the winter palace, come now let's prove them wrong." She finished stretching her arm to take hold of Nalia's and the two of them  started running in earnest towards the cliff , with every so often having to stop and balance each other when the weight of their bellies almost felled them whereby they would laugh at each other and then their friends would laugh too and by the time they were reaching the cliff Nalia felt more energized than she had been in weeks. As they stood their on the cliff's edge watching the rainbow colors, she felt finally at ease.
Ready to face her husband, ready to face society and to face her husband.
Although she also had a new mission that she had sidetracked when she was travelling but atleast now she had her friends with her.

They stood there simply watching the water each plagued in their own thoughts and worries until a chill filled her.
Still Nalia was afraid of turning and heading back to the house,  afraid somehow that the peace she felt would be broken.
She smiled thinking that Ara would wake up soon enough and together with Damien they were sure to cause havoc in the house.
She laughed deciding it was time to head back in.
As they headed back she held Merith's hand in hers and squeezed it when she saw the lady looking a bit nervous.
"Worry not Mer, you have my protection and really I have not seen your husband to be the man who would drag you forcefully to your house. Besides it is convinient that our lands are adjacent to each other that way he can visit you at any time. "
The other woman lifted her face which had been gazing at the stoned pathway in the midst of the dewy grass. She tried for a smile but it came out wobbly.
"I would like to thank you for taking me into your,family...It warms my heart so... but I, if, my husband wishes to take me back home, there is little we can do, you know the Law is on his side and... "She paused mid sentence when she saw Nalia's face break into a randiant smile and her eyes light with the mischief she had come to learn after spending every waking moment together.
"It may be that we have no legal options Mer but that does not mean we have no other way... I mean, the country's system has to be flawed, if people can disappear,then keeping a friend around shall not be difficult. Understand?"
Merith smiled truly this time.
It was nice to have someone look out for her and as the sun barred down on them spreading its light to dispel the chill, she had a sense that it dispelled her worries too.

                   **************

Hello guys,
Just want to let you know that I am most grateful for your reads.
I have been sick and also working on a judicial attatchment.
Also.. I'm working on a fantasy fiction with lesbian characters whom I adore so much.
I can't wait to share them with you guys.

That is why my books have been lagging behind.
I kindly ask for forgiveness and ask you to please not give up on us. 😊😉

I shall strive to do constant updates and I thank you all soo much.
Please inbox me or comment here anytime and I shall get yo you as soon as I can.
Love you all...
I.