Reunited (b)

Merith was grateful to the Lord when the carriage stopped and it took all her restraint to let Giselda go out first.
When the woman was safely on her feet, Merith swatted Nalia's hand to get out as both of them laughed lightly.
It was hilarious really how the soft jostles sent such sharp pains to their backs. Not for the first time, Merith wished for her pregnancy to end already.
She took a minute to take in the village, for she had never really been in it's heart and then saw Nalia do the small with one of her hands in the small of her back.Her petite body still covered in the heavy white cloaks they had worn for their walk. Her hair still hanging loose and the white of the rapidly falling snow covering it in sharp contrasts.
It was very picturesque. The small redbrick cottages were scattered around in small distances and billowing chimneys as though it was mealtime and all were busy cooking.
The entire space of the frontyard was covered in cakes of snow with only the pebble walkways being free of it.
A number of the villagers had gathered around the porch of their houses to see the visitors and as soon as they saw Nalia they bowed or curtsy.  She gave them a warm smile and waved a gloved hand, ever accustomed to being the princess.
"In here my ladies. " Giselda said, she herself already moving towards the small cottage on their left side.

Nalia instructed the footman to take care of the horses and then join them inside away from the snow.
By the time they had gone inside-the cottage was a quaint space, with two couches and several spread armchairs in the sitting area and colorful curtains and pillows,Giselda was already crouched next to a spring bed by the fireplace, to a man whose hair was as dark as the night and of a heavy build which looked to have grown frail. Nalia approached them while Nerith shook her head once to indicate her declination mouthing a makes me sick and moving to the small window to gaze outside.
Seeing her, Giselda told her thought a bit distracted, "do have a seat my lady,forgive my ill manners please. "
Merith smiled and nodded once to acknowledge her but still kept standing.
"May I? " Nalia asked, the man's eyes flew open at her voice and Nalia wondered why she felt as though she knew him.His eyes were a brown so deep it looked black, from what she could see from the fireflames.

"Good morn sir? I am.. "
"Duchess, "the man said his voice weak and low. "I thank Bog.... You... Here... Need... "He coughed, wheezing. Nalia grimaced but refused to leave or stand away.
Especially now that she knew he was her countryman. No wonder his eyes looked familiar. The nagging feeling that she should recognize him well enough hang over her head like a heavy cloud.
Reaching for his free hand she pushed him back on the bed. Surprised at how extremely cold he was.
"Save your strength, my brave warrior, we shall speak afterwards. "
She told him in her native tongue making Giselda whip her bend head at her.
The man shook his head at her in protest but Nalia remained persistent. Seeing a kettle on the fire she walked over to it, pulling off her gloves and searching for a basin, seeing a small bowl on the table, she took it and poured a bit of the water inside. She dipped one of her fingers inside testing the heat, relieved to find it's lukewarm.
Returning with the bowl in hand, she found both Giselda and Merith watching her.
"Fetch me a clean towel would you, "she instructed the woman who quickly stood to do as she was told.
"Mer dear, please keep an eye out for that doctor. I have no knowledge of what keeps him so. "She added and shook her head in displeasure.
Merith nodded moving closer to Nalia and grasping her hand. Their joined hands infront of their bellies.
"You are a woman worth a thousand more. "
Nalia let out a small laugh. Her dimples showing .
"You are too kind Mer,I thank my God and the Madonna every day for the blessing that is you. You have given me friendship and companionship but even more so love and understanding. "She paused to wipe off the tears falling on her cheeks. "My word, I seem to be the soul image of every emotion now. Ti's tears one minute and laughter the next, oh well, enough of talking now. Come let's get to work as we await the doctor. "
By the time they heard hooves beating, Nalia had draped her coat over the ill nan and soaked his forehead with the warm towel.
She felt terribly exhausted and asked the doctor to please take good care of the man and take the bill to the manor.