chapter 10

Nalia could not believe that she was in a reality.Were it not for the ache in her stomach from the excess laughter she had done at her husband and his friends she would have believed she was dreaming.Here before her was a man whom she loved and adored more than anyone else in her life other than Ara.
He pulled her at arms length and raised her gloved hands to give them both sweet kisses his eyes fixed on her. "Come darling, let us dance.The next waltz is just beginning. I pray your card is not filled yet."
"It is not, we had barely just arrived before our husbands came to fetch us."
He smirked his eyes filled with laughter,mouth quarking and set his hand for her to take.
"I find as though I am transported to 10 years ago,in the Winter palace."She said as they took their places in the line of ladies and gents.
"I do not believe so.For one thing you look rather more radiant and your hair is actually set not flowing like fire behind your back,though I must ask you let me see it down sometime."
"As you wish Richy.I have missed you so."
"I apologize I only received your letters last week, I have been traveling and that is why meeting with you was so difficult. "
"So you..." they were disturbed by the shuffle.When she got to him it was only a few minutes before the waltz ended.
"You know everything? "She asked gazing at him with wide eyes.
Love for her pierced his heart.
"My little one, do not fear,am I not here."
Just then the music stopped and they had to pull apart for their bows.He took her habd and led her back to the chairs taking one next to hers.
"I saw what you did to Hahn.I must say you made for full entertainment. "
Nalia flipped her fan over her mouth and Richard could see she was laughing for her eyes were crinkling at the corner.
Their hostess the princess Sofia came towards them, her eyes fixed on Richard and Nalia knew their time was up.Her eyes flew up to Nicola who was unconsciously shooting daggers towards the princess.
When she reached them her companion looked irritated but being the gentkeman that he was smiled up at her and said he would join soon.After the princess left he threw a look to Nalia."I must keave you now unlike what I want,I must fulfill my duty."
He bent down and kissed her lightly powdered cheek,"I shall be back to escort you to your carriage."he added giving her a serene smile.
Nalia took a minute to watch his tall handsome form disappear in the throng of dancers until she saw the glitter of red in his hair as he passed a bright candlelabra.
She smiled and feeling all the better by his assurance.
She turned to her friends her expression turned dark."Let us go finish this already I want to be back in Russia by the time of the Winter ball, with the people I love and sliding down the snow."she said thinking of Richard.
Kat's eyes looked ready to kill "on with this."

30 minutes later just as they knew peoppe would be heading towards dinner Kat cornered her husbands mistress .Nalia and her friends had split up earlier to convince the princess to help them by making sure guests are asked to stay quiet as they go through.She had cooperated.Nicola and Masha had been busy convincing the rest of the people to please use the back entrace as the main one was faulty. Merith had the biggest task to bring Christobal to the dining hall .
Nalia had made this plan and everything required precision if anything went wrong then all hope was lost.
She gave Kat a nod of encouragement and Kat was off.
She found her husbands mistress sitting next to a group of other mistresses "He could not take his eyes off me ,I may not have much but I have his heart."Kat felt her ire rise.
"Ofcourse you do. Ladies could you please excuse us."her friends looked at her.
Marcella smiled trumphantly,"it is alright.No harm can fall me ."
Kat kept her smile on her face."Marcella,hello ?It has been so long ."
The woman's face showed how she loathed Kat but she relaxed knowing that the feeling is mutual.
"It has.I did not think I would see you any time this soon."
She felt the need to trigger this woman's coming with her to the dining hall.Otherwise it would all be ruined for people would be seated before they arrived and Marcella would not confess infront of them.If anything she would turn the entire matter against Kat.
"Neither did I, in all honesty except that I received very interesting news you see and I had to come atleast tell my husband."
Marcella's eyes widened and Kat held a breath hoping that her bait was received and sure enough as she began again she was stopped."About your friend who visits in the dark..."
"Let us talk in private!"she whispered rushedly ."No need to speak so openly."she added her face plastered with faux smiles.
"Marcella,truly,where could we speak pray tell.It is a ball remember there is no space for privacy."
The woman looked distressed and then she contemplated a moment stood up and started heading towards the dinning hall."If you could please follow me."she said smiling,faking appearances.
Kat was too happy that their plan was working to even feel angry.
When they reached the dining hall Kat looked at the cloak and saw it was exactly right in about 2 minutes or less the guests would be arriving.
She turned to Marcella and gave her the slap her hands had been itching to give for a long time.
Marcella gasped."What is the matter with you!Russian barbarian.Uncivilized cad!.."
"You had best keep your mouth shut you witch!I know what you did."
Kat took a breath and prayed that Christabal had arrived.
"How could you.You ruined my marriage with your vindictive planning. You believe that I shall go after dinner and let Christobal know about what you did."
"Really?Do you think he will believe you!"
Kat laughed her sarcastic laugh that she had  seen Nalia practice on more occasion than she could count.
"Mi amor,"she made sure her voice sounded exactly as Marcella, "I would never be so presumptuous which is why I have your ladies maid and coachman ready to give their evidence."she smiled and turned to leave her eyes seeing the cloak and realising it was exactly time.
Marcella's voice reached her just before she opened the door.
"You stupid woman,"her voice was thick with fear and emotion and she was shouting-thank heavens for now everyone will hear her.
"If I seoarated you before I could do it again."
Kat took her cue."Really Marcella not even you can be so talented.I know the child is not my husband's and I intend to tell him"
Thankfully Marcella was too far gone in her rage to hear the startled gasp that ome fool let out.
"If you think that that is the only thing I have done you are mistaken.I am not your avarage woman and do not try me.I oretended to be your allie and even had you fooled.I hacked the carriage wheel when I knew Christobal was near and blamed it on you finding out that I was pregnant with his child.If I could that to myself imagine what could happen to you if I intended.You came and took my love and still you expeted me to be your friend.Yes this child is not Christobal's but the others will be..."
Kat felt her energy drained she knew she had not been the one to try kill Marcella she did not however know how dimented the woman was.
"How could you try kill yourself are you not worried about your child."
"I will do anything fir Cheistobal believe it!Do not underestimate me! "
"No it is you who should not underestimate me!"she did not elaborate further except quirk her head in the direction of the back door.
There stood a crowd her friends at the forefront.
Nalia stepped up glad that everything had worked out for her friend atleast all of society now knew who was at fault.
She saw Christobal move foward but remembering Kat's request she went foward and grabbed her friend before Christobal met her.
She gave a scornful look to him telling him she would not ever defend him.
He looked withered but she only raised an eyebrow and 'hmphed'.
Marcella realised she had been duped jumped foward with her hands ready to do bodily harm to Kat.
Nalia grabbed her hand "do not even dare you...uncharacteristic woman.You have harmed my sister for the last time and let me tell you I may not be able to harm you now that you are with child,no matter how concieved,but do not try my patience for I itch to ."
Nalia turned to hold Kat protectively but found the rest of her friends having made a wall infront of Kat looking most disapproving even Merith and her heart warmed.
Spotting Sofia in the company of  French prince, Nalia moved quickly to the other wonan thanked her profusely for her help and asked leave.
Sofia only smiled and said it had been a very interesting evening indeed.