Ye of old

By the time her maid came to wake ber for dinner, Nalia was thoroughly farmished. Her stomach grumbled and she insisted that Maria bath and dress her quickly so she could go to sup.
She was seated at her vanity watching as the maid brushed and held her hair up in a high elaborate style with a few lose tendrils hanging at the front and her ruby and emerald combs holding it in place, Nicola stepped into her chambers.
Her friend was dressed in a blue silk dress with black muslin trimmings. She smiled and Nalia took note of the fact that her friend seemed happier and made a mental note to ask about her and Richard.
"I was beginning to wonder if you would ever emerge from your chambers. "She spoke first and Nalia smiled too knowing full well of the running joke between them of how long she took to get dressed.
"You haven't a clue how hard I have pushed Maria to ensure a quick bath. Truly, I am positively farmished. Do sit down would you please. I am putting the finishing touches. "She said extending her hand to the maid for her hands to be gloved.
Nicola chuckled softly, "If I was in doubt before my friend, I am as of now assured that you will give deliver a bouncing baby, with emphasize on the bouncing. "
Nalia could not help it, she threw her head back and laughed out loud in the most unlady like behavior, then tried to hold herself still as a slight douze of sweet but faint perfume was douzed on her.
"That my dear 'Ola is how you find yourself not christened godmother. "
Her friend's mirth died on her face, replaced with a huge sincere grin as her blue saphire eyes filled with tears that made Nalia think of the sparkling jewel.
"You would like that would you not Nicola? "
Her friend jumped from the position she had taken at the foot of the bed, arms eagerly extended to approach the sutting woman.
"I would stand but really it takes more skill than you would think." Nalia joked, trying to lighten the moment.
Nicola let out a wobbly laugh before clasping her friend's hands so tightly and nodding her consent.
"It is an honour to do so and I like it very much. It pleases me so much so. "
Nalia smiled, understanding what this meant to her friend whose child and husband had been killed by assassins sent to kill her and she felt suddenly emotional.
Batting away her tears, she pushed herself on her feet, saying, "come now 'Ola, we need to get a move on before everyone comes looking for us and then we shall have to forget about dinner and as I said I am farmished. "
Nicola smiled then gazed at her in an attempted stern way, "you must now stop referring to me by that aweful name. I am going to be a godmother incase you haven't heard, "she raised her chin dramatically then added, "I deserve dew respect. "
Giggling Nalia stood straighter and said "Aye your grace, forgive my insolence if you please. "
"You fool you. "Nicola giggled along, "one would think that with you being an old matron and everything, you would leave your childish ways behind you. "
Grasping her heart in mock shock, Nalia shook her head disapprovingly then said, "my word, but it is true these Russians are all savages. "She added a gasp for effect and continued, "I'll have you know that is no way to speak to a lady ." Then she lifted her nose in the air and made as if to leave but when Nicola burst out laughing behind her she couldn't help but join, having so long learned that humor helped them deal with the sharp criticism they had received during their debut in london society.
"You sound exactly as the dowager countess of Thornhill did when she gave Kat that set down. Oh but I could never forget it. Kat was so furious and you looked ready to smack her with your fan. "
Laughing again at the memory as she remembered how she had indeed weighed the strength of her fan and considered the damage it would have done to the face of the woman, she sighed and rubbed her chest.
"Yes, I actually did consider it and thought of how satisfying it would be to actually smack her with it until, you so graciously stepped in. "
They smiled again as Nicola took her arm in hers and led her down the stairs.
"Oh before I forget, I have a letter for you that I believe you would rather read before dinner. "Nicola told her, retrieving a writing paper sealed with a blue wax seal that she knew was her husband and she quickly nodded.
Grabbing the letter, she quickly dashed to the study, locking the doors behind her and reached for the silver pen knife on the black desk to tear at the seal.
Her eyes greedily scanning the letter.
In his cursive slightly untidy hand, was his message.

Beloved,
By the time you read this you have come back to me and word has reached me.
I wished to tell you, I am glad for your presence in this manor once more but that would be a lie and having vowed to only be honest with you from this day henceforth I shall not say so.
In it's place I will write this instead, that as you read this do know I am coming to you from where I am, to hold you, to cherish you, to taste the lips that have haunted my dreams for so long I fear ti's years passed.
I would ask for your forgiveness but no words can convey the regret I have wallowed in in your continued absence, to see every mistake made, to go over all the possibilities I could have done a thing differently.
I long to hold you, if you would permit, I want to bestow you with all the kisses I witheld, to cover your body with mine but most of all, I long to see you look ipon my face, with the tenderness that you once held for me.
So I will ask, is it too late to begin again?
Could your beauty, the one in your soul that reflects on your face, tame this rogue beast's heart?
I await just for a sign.
A glance, a word, a touch and I shall reveal to you the secrets of my heart.

I remain,
Only Yours,
N.D.

Ps; I beseach you,please ,give this writer, one last chance.

It would be true to say that the reader of the letter felt an ache in her heart at the thought of causing such an ache to the one she loved so truly. It is also true to say that being a ruler had taught her to be objective and being a woman had shown her that to cave easily would mean repeated mistakes.
Sighing as she felt an ache settle in her heart she reached a tender touch to her protruding belly. Feeling the restlessness there as well as in herself.
In the end, it would be correct to say, the duchess' merry mood was lost as a deep yearning for her husband filled her heart and her mind gave her all the reasons to not give in to it's desires.

*****************-******************
So sorry for the late update.
I was working on mine for keeps.
I feel inspired to write seeing as I have reasons to celebrate.
The supreme court of my country this past Fri nullified the election of a president declarin it null and void.
As you can already tell I as 100% supportive and as a law student feel pleased beyond believe to be a presedent setting country and witness.
So long short, this book will get atleast two more updates this coming week.
I love you guys so much and thank you for the reads.
We have hit 300 reads and going strong.
I love you all.
Xxo
I.