Chapter 7

Nalia held her hand steady and whirled the ball at one of her ladies watching as it hit her squarely in the back before running in glee to mount her horse and ride to the treasure point.She laughed hard and wholly.She had not laughed thus for a long time and her lungs ached from the exertion.She could hear Merith's musical laughter behind her as she caught up with her and they tried searching for the next busket of clues.Last night,the ladies maid being familiar with the game had taken the neatly written riddles and placed them in baskets all over the manor.As the picnic went forth the idea had been given to the ladies present who had surprisingly wanted to try it.
They had given Nalia and her team a run for their jewels.
Rounding up on the last bend Merith jumped down just as Kat swooped by and grabbed the basket deftly and gave a loud cry of triumph.The rest of the ladies slowed down on the hill as they saw the price was claimed.They trodded down to where the luncheon was set.
The ladies of the ton had surprisingly been accepting to Nalia and she wished to treat them well.
As they reached the tables,they sat down eating and drinking.
Her husband came forth to her and gave her a sweet kiss on the forehead.
She was taken aback.Especially since she had not had any intimacies with him not even a hand hold.
Before she could question him they had a small whimper in the silence that had engulfed the place.Nalia's first thought was of her baby and she found she had already rose and was searching for Ara.Like the red sea people parted to let her pass.She saw Ara holding her cheek to her palm, her eyes filled with tears and her lower lip was trembling,her nanny stood protectively in front of her.Standing next to her was Elise.Nalia crouched next to her child,her hands shaking and that was before she saw the red hand print on Ara's cheek.Her fury rose and she scooped her child into her arms."mama...mama..."
Nalia felt her heart break, she had never in all the 3 years since Arabella had been given to her care raised her hand to her own child even in anger.Yet this woman of less than desirable manners had dared to strike her and leave a mark too.
She took the child into her arms,stood on shaky grounds to find her ladies by her side along with Merith,her husband was standing where he had been, drinking his wine as if nothing had occurred. Knowing well that all eyes were on her she gave a silent prayer of thanks to the heavens that the event was almost over."I apologize but I feel out of sorts.Please enjoy the picnic.I need to tend to other bussiness.Excuse me "
Her anger was not lowering. The man she had married for the sole purpose of protecting her child did not seem to bother that that child had been hurt,at the hands of his mistress.
Ara was sobbing slowly on her shoulders and her tears were soaking her dress.
"You may follow us Metilda."
She glanced at Elise,her fury must have showed despite her intentions to not show them when she saw the smirk on the woman's face."I am so sorry your grace.It was an accident"
Nalia bit her lip took a breath and gave her best polite smile."'tis alright I understand. "
Without waiting for a reply, she climbed into the awaiting horse and took Ara back into her arms ,her mind already plotting.

Hahn watched her go.Her wild hair being blown behind her back by the wind.
She had swept to Ara like lioness to her cub.He knew he should have defended her,stood by her side but he also did not want to fall out with Elise especially since he had decided to seek her bed tonight.
He was surprised his wife had held her  calm for he had seen the way she dug her nails into her hand until they drew blood.
Atleast she had not created a scandal.
He turned to speak to the Earl as if nothing had occurred. Yet a greater instinct told him that the storm was coming. He put it to the back of his mind atleast for a while.

Nalia looked at her most trusted servant as he retreated. On his wake her friends trooped into her chambers.
"How big is the damage friend?"Nicola asked her.
She smiled at them, all except for Merith had grown with her and knew exactly what it meant when she held her calm.
"What are you planning to do? "
"Nothing yet Marsha,unless his grace declines to help me. I am to see him before the dinner,I shall inform you of everything afterwards."
"It's a good thing I already instructed Ann to get ready."Kat chirped in.

"Is something a miss?I do not follow."Merith voiced her confusion.
Before they explained things to her,Nalia heard her husband's voice from the study .
"Come dear,let us go see our husbands."

"Come on, you and I know I never wanted to marry her in the first place,you have no idea how hard it was for me consummating the marriage like a gentleman..."the loud voice of her husband carried through the adjourning library that extended to her chambers.
Nalia paused in her steps and turned to look at Merith.It was obvious they were speaking of her.
"You should be pleased with your wife,Hahn,atleast yours obviously loves a child who we all know is not hers,mine couldn't even keep her  child."
Merith gasped and held fast to the chair she had just left.
"Really was she also forcing you to love a bastard child of the woman you loved."
Nalia held her breath, they say it is bad to eavesdrop.You may regret what you hear.
It had never been any more true to her than it was today.

Calmly she turned and pulled the bell cord before changing her mind and deciding to go down herself.
"Kat,if you would be so kind as to explain to Merith what all the fuss was about.I'll be downstairs.

Nalia left the room her hands shaking.She could not believe what she had heard.ofcourse she and Hahn had not wanted to marry each other.She had her reasons for agreeing to the marriage, and she was sure he had too.Yet he had not missed a minute of being cruel to her.Reminding her of her savage ways,how he did not want to marry her and now he insults her and her child.Her child,goodness.
The staff stopped their schedules when she entered.
She did not feel the need to waste time.She only looked at her servants. "I do not wish to disturb your programs.I only wish to thank you for being kind to both me and my child during my stay here.I will always be grateful. Maria I need you upstairs. "
She saw Maria turning quickly and smiled kindly at the cook."please if it's no trouble, find me something to eat on my travels atleast until we reach London. For five people and one child and all our workers.I will be most grateful. "
She looked surprised but said a quick ofcourse."and Maria,give instruction that I want a private meeting with 'her' before we leave."
"Yes ofcourse your highness."

After ensuring that everything was in order, Nalia walked to the cottage where she knew her faithful servants were hosting her hostage.She checked back to ensure no one was following her before opening the door and locking it behind her.

Elise looked up at her and Nalia signalled to be left alone with her enemy.
Memories of her child's tears and marked face filled her mind and she heard a resounding sound fill the room and realised she had given  the slap herself.
"How dare you slap me.I assure you I will have you hauled out of England before tomorrow. "
"I should ask you that.How dare you!How could you come to my house,you already sleep with my husband,you have not lacked insults to haul at me and I have tolerated you all along. Yet you believed my silence was my weakness.You moved your constant attacks to my child.I have never so much as raised my hand to her yet you thought you could.Well I will be heading to Russia soon,it is my home and I do miss it but as of who between us will be the first there,is yet to be seen."
She took a deep breath and felt joy fill her at the sight of fear infront of her .