Best in me

I waited on the chair by the window and watched for the sign of dirty blond hair. I smiled when i saw him turn the corner and skip up the steps with his head down. I opened the door before he had time to knock. And flashed him a smile. He was wearing an old t-shirt and athletic, black shorts. I on the other hand, was wearing black shorts that were a bit above my fingertips, and a white baggy shirt. Also my old converse are on my small feet. My waves are lying naturally on my back. I also have a choker necklace that I got when I was little so I also wear that.
Ready? Zach signs with a dorky grin stretching across his face.
Yeah I'm good. I sign and look behind me to see a few of the girls staring jealously at me. I scratch the back of my neck and slip out the door closing it, trying to avoid the awkward stares. I look to the window where a few girls sit staring at me, or maybe just at Zach. I roll my eyes at their childishness. We walk for a while until my legs are almost tired. I don't recognize this part of town but Zach seems comfortable with the streets. Maybe I just don't get out much, I shrug. I take a sideways glance toward Zach and see he is staring at me. He quickly looks away nervously and I only smile to myself, letting my hair sway in front of my eyes.
I felt Zach's fingers brush mine but jerked back nervously at contact. I curled my fingers around his wrist and he stiffened at first but then relaxed. Realizing the situation and holding my hand in his.
    We turned a corner and I looked up to take in our new surroundings. I gasped and stiffened my legs. It wasn't much but it was more than he would know. Just a green meadow with daisy sprouting randomly. There was already a small blanket and basket in the middle.
It's amazing! Thank you so much! I sign with enthusiasm.
Thought you'd like it he smirks cockily. I roll my eyes and walk to the setup.
    Zach also takes a seat, motioning for me to and I do so. He pulls out a few sandwiches and gives me one with an apple.
    I hold my apple in the air and he does the same. Bumping them together in cheers and taking a bite out of it. I smile at our weirdness and start eating my sandwich. I think it's a pb&j. Basic, but cute.
    I let the warm, summer, breeze fly through my hair and soak into my skin. I close my eyes for a moment and enjoy the rays of sunlight beaming in my face. Suddenly a burst of cold water splashes into my face. A small shriek escaped my lips and I opened my eyes to see Zach laughing with a water gun in his hand.
    I glare for a second before Zach tosses me a neon green water gun. Full of water. I immediately pulled the trigger and a flash of water streaked through the air and covered Zach's perfect face. I mean... What? I pulled my body off the ground and fired a few times at Zach before retreating. I felt cold water soak into my shirt and I gasped at the sudden contact.
    I turned and squirted a few times at Zach and sprinted toward the tree line. Once I reached a few trees in, I quickly grabbed the lowest branch and pulled myself up. I watched as Zach slowly creeped into the woods. He looked around rapidly and didn't see me. I snickered silently to myself and aimed my water gun at him.
    One, he stood still listening for the moves I make that I can't hear.
    Two, he takes one step and looked around again.
    Three, I don't let him advance. I fire and cold water shoots straight at Zach. Soaking his shirt. He cringes away and then holds up his arms while laughing in surrender. He finally caught a glimpse of me moving and I swung down not-so-gracefully down from the tree. He started toward me and I turned and ran through the trees sending everything into a blur. Every once and a while, I would catch a flimsy of him streaming through the trees. But as I swerved blindly around, he couldn't keep up and fell behind. I feel bark grab my hand and I stopped breathlessly. I examined my palm, which had blood trickling off of it. I wiped my hand on my black shorts and lean against the tree.
    For a minute I just stand there breathless but then my vision is taken. I feel soft hands on my eyes and a smile inches it's way into my face. I take his hands and while holding them in mine, I wrap them around me. Zach rests his chin on my head. He loosens his grip and I'm guessing it's time we head back.
Zach gently lifts my hand from where it was on his arm and blinks disbelievingly.
Are you okay? He signs quickly.
Yeah just a scrape. I sign. It didn't hurt that much. I was used to pain, and I didn't think it mattered anymore. A small scrape. He nods slowly and I start to walk. Soon I am swept off my feet and I'm dangling in the air. A smile crawls onto my face as I look up and see Zach smiling like his dorky self. He carries me out of the woods and back to the picnic areas where I stretch my arms and legs out and laugh. My hair is still slightly wet in places so in the extraordinary moment where my hair is flying around as he spins, some decide to stick unattractively on my neck. I shrug it off and continue to enjoy. The world is spinning around my and Zach puts me down, also laughing. His dirty blond hair in a natural mess.
He sits down and outstretched his legs. And pull myself up to him and lean my head on his shoulder. He doesn't decline so I think he's okay with it.
We sit like that for a while and a question starts to buzz in my head. Why does he like me? One of the most popular guys in school falls for the 'loser' of the school. I pick my head up and look at him for a moment.
Why me? I finally sign.
What do you mean? He signs slowly though I can tell he knows what I mean.
Why do you like me? I sign and he looks at me blankly.
    Your different. Zach starts but I cut him off.
    Well, duh? I'm deaf. Nobody else in the school is. I sign. Maybe too harsh?
    No, well I mean yeah. But that's not it. You are smart, happy, brave, honest- he signs.
    You read way to much for a popular guy. I sign.
    Divergent. Yep. One of my favorites. I'm gonna get you into books too, you just watch. He signs and I roll my eyes. He starts to laugh and I join him.
    Let's go. I feel dry. Kind of. I sign. He packs everything up and leaves it in spread out.  Are you gonna get it?
    I'll get it later. He signs. We walk down the street in silence. I guess that's what happens when your holding hands and you need your hands to communicate.
    He dropped my off at the orphanage and I hurriedly left to shower. I let the warm water run down my back and soak my hair.
    Thoughts rushed through my hair. Do I really want to leave? Am I not happy here? I ask myself but there is never a reasonable answer. I've always wanted to get adopted but now it feels different. I like being with Zach.
I think he brings out the best in me.