Just like you

(Quick authors note! I have a broken arm now so I can't type fast but I still will. Fell during soccer and played the whole game on a broken arm. Like an idiot)

We haven't talked much. Right now we just walk in a comfortable silence down the crowded streets of Seattle.

"You know," Zach starts. "Your voice is beautiful."

I smile at this no matter how small the act was.

"I like the way you sound." I laugh.

        "Are you used to it?" He asks me.

      "What?"

       "The earpiece. Does it feel weird to hear again?" He asks.

"I've gotten used to it." I smile. We talked small talk for a while but eventually I stated I needed to go but could meet him again tonight at 6. He didn't decline replying and saying he needed to clean up too. When I got into my room my room mate was bent over a book and had her bed covered in random fandom pillows.

"Hi." I say hesitantly.

"Oh hello." She looks up from her book and quickly sticks a torn piece of paper where she left off. When she closes the cover I see she is reading Allegiant.

"You've read the divergent books?" I ask.

"Twenty seven times yes." The girl nods. "I'm Miranda." She holds out a hand for me to shake.

"Holly." I smile. "I've gotta get ready for something but we can talk later if you want."

"Sure." She shrugs and buries her face back in her book. I decided on a black tank top and stretchy blue jeans. I slid on some black sandals and waited by the café I saw him in this morning for him. A few minutes past the time we planned on meeting I finally saw him come around the corner. I almost cried all over again in joy and shock. It'd been so long since I'd actually saw him and now I almost couldn't handle it. But he seemed foreign. But he was still the same.

Zach's POV (just for a little while)

She thought I was dead? Why would they tell her that? She almost tried to kill herself? I frown in frustration as I turn the corner to the café I'd promised to meet Holly at. I'd been late because I was trying to confiscate all of his tobacco products but it seemed he had an endless supply.

"Sorry I was late." I frown. "My roommate seems difficult."

"It's alright." She shrugs. "I have some place to show you." She says. Her hair has been brushed out into waves from the earlier curls I'm assuming. Id never seen her that dressed up but then she said something about a meeting with Mr. Lutz? Who is that?

"Okay." I say taking her hand but she stiffens. I let go but she turns back toward me.

       "No it's fine." Holly grabs my hand with a squeeze. "It's just- it's been a while."

      "I know."

Hollys POV

"I know." Zach nods. He thinks he gets it but he doesn't. I never thought I'd feel this again.

      "Come on." I say and pull him with me into an open field.

       "What's this?" Zach says walking forward slightly to the end of a degrading hill.

       "It has a pretty sunset view." I say in a hushed voice even if there aren't people around. The sky feels as though it demands our silence. With its overcoming darkness and the few stars that dotted the sky.

"Perfect." Zach smiles softly and settled down on the fluffy ground. I accidentally forget to move so he looks up at me with worried eyes and holds out a hand.

"Sorry." I apologize and take his hand, sitting beside of him.

"Don't apologize. It's fine." Zach smiles but he still hurts. I stay silent for a while and lean into him. "I missed this." Zach whispers close to my ear.

"Me too." I smile weakly. "Hey! Um- how's Ginny?"

"She's staying with Andrews mum June." Zach grimaces.

Confusion washed over me. "Wha.."

"Less than a year ago I had to leave. I couldn't leave her with him. It was after the train accident. I left my dad. Haven't seen him since." Zach says.

"Oh." I say knitting my eyebrows together in confusion.

"How about you?" Zach asks changing the topic.

"So much has happened." I whisper. "My attempts." I whisper.

"Attempts? Plural?" Zach seems surprised.

"Kind of." I shrug. "Then the shooting."

"Were you involved with that?" Zach asks me.

I nod subtly. "Second scariest thing in my life." I shudder.

"What was the first?" Zach asks.

"When I thought I'd lost you." I whisper. "Then there was Jackson. He was too little to have experienced that and then his mum left him." I shake my head. "My adopted parents took him in. Only five or six maybe? When u had to leave I thought he was all i had left."

"How were you two involved?" Zach asks.

       "I can't talk about it." I whisper. "Yet." There was a point in time where I would tell him anything without hesitation but that was before. Before I thought he'd died. Before the shooting. Before my attempts. Now I feel as though my body is closed off to the world. And Zach.

      "It's okay."  Zach says.

       "No matter how many times you say it's okay, it's not. I know that. And I'm sorry." I apologize looking up at him.

        "Don't worry about it." Zach squeezes my hand.

      "Okay." I whisper. Pink filled the sky almost immediately and I could see the reflection of the setting sun in Zach's eyes when he turned to watch it.

       "Beautiful." Zach whispers and I nod faintly. "Just like you." How cheesy. I giggle softly and lean my head onto his shoulder.

___________________________

Authors note!

Sorry about my broken arm guys😥 I didn't mean to hurt it😁 I'll try and update some but it is hard

⚡️Darcy⚡️