An opened door

After my surgery I was really weak. They kept me in the hospital for almost a week after that. I told them I would get better, including Zach. They said I wasn't strong enough to take it. They had me on a tube for two days but eventually let me eat on my own. I was being driven back now. Honestly I have no idea where this is and how far away it is from the orphanage. I sat in the back seat with Zach and fell asleep against his shoulder. I had a sling on one of my arms but I didn't plan on keeping it on. It's like sewing a normal persons mouth up.
    People use the expression 'as one door closes another one opens' well in my opened door is cancer but the closed door contains my anorexia. I will survive. I will make it through this. I hope. The car jolted to a stop and I went straight into the orphanage. Only sparing a small glance at Zach. Zach followed me up and I opened the door. I faced Mrs. Walls and snaked around her, leaving Zach to explain. Her face shown with shock and soon she nodded and Zach turned to me.
She is making you go to every meal. He signs and I just turn around and head to my bed.

•••

The next day I wake and walk out to meet Zach at the garden. He is already there when I arrive and I just slowly walk up to him. Today the summer breeze gently rolled over the land and I wore some dark purple shorts and a black shirt, which I covered with a thin, baggy, jacket. When I entered he looked up and a smile hinted on his lips.
I don't want to die. I sign. Zach's eyes widened in surprise and his smile faded.
Your not going to die Holly! He signed. You just have to get better.
I gained 3 pounds. I sign slowly.
Good. I didn't like it but I did. I slowly gained more weight during the week. I gained a lot for only a week actually. I sat beside of him and turn my back to him, laying against him. We sat there for a while and sometimes talked but eventually I had to go back for lunch.

•••

So the days went by and two weeks had passed. I'd gained almost ten more pounds and hadn't refused any food. Some days I would get sick but I'm over that stage.
I stepped onto the scale and it twisted around for a while until it landed on 92 Joy flooded over me. The doctor said I only had to be 100 at least to start chemo. I didn't want to die and they had caught it early so my chances of survival are pretty good. Some days I would break down in realization but others I would be fine.
Today Kacy was coming to visit, oh how much I had to tell her. I quickly got ready and slid on a pair of jean shorts and a baggy purple tank top with lace on the top, back, half. I brushed my hair out and French braided it. I missed having Kacy do mine but I eventually figured it out. I laced up my purple converse- which I almost had every color in. I rushed out into the living room and sat in the chair by the window.
    In no time, Kacy was arriving at the  door, smiling. I opened the door at mid-knock and tackled her in a hug. She pulled apart smiling.
You've lost some weight. She noted.
Yeah, we need to talk about something. I sign I'll take you somewhere and he will explain.
    Kacy's face morphed into confusion but followed me down the road. On our way down the road, I took in Kacy's appearance. Her hair has grown down to her butt, and was in a fishtail braid on her shoulder. She was wearing a floral sundress with pink, yellow, and light orange flowers. She hadn't grown a lot either. Still very close in size to me.
    We reached the meadow I had had the water gun fight with Zach in and the dirty blond boy was waiting on a blanket.
    Kacy raised an eyebrow at me and I rolled my eyes but a smile flickered onto my face. I walked over to the blanket and sat down to the right of Zach. Kacy took a seat beside of me. We were in a small triangle.
So? Kacy signed. Are you to like, a thing?
Maybe, but that's not the important part. I signed but Zach stayed quiet. Kacy's widened noticeably but didn't question is further. Okay so Zach is gonna explain something to you. But you can't freak out.
    Are you pregnant?! Kacy asked quickly.
No. I answer quickly. Zach is just going to tell you not in asl. Kacy just nodded and turned to Zach. I turned so I could read Zach's lips and tell what he was saying.
    'Holly and I were climbing a tree, and her branch couldn't hold her so, she fell.' Kacy's eyes widened and scanned my body looking for a sign of injury. 'They took a CT scan and she had only dislocated her shoulder but they also.' He paused nervously. 'I don't know how to lighten this, but they found a tumor. She has breast cancer. Im sorry' Kacy stared at me in disbelief. Her eyes watered up and she wrapped her arms around me while tucking her head in my shoulder. I knew it was hard for her because her mom died from breast cancer and her father died from a car accident. Unlike me her parents loved her and she loved them back. They were a soft spot for her and my parents only made me angry. I pulled her back and signed.
I had to get better. Eat more and gain weight before I can start chemo. I tell her. She sighs and tears form in her eyes.
I'll be sleeping in the living room at the orphanage. I flew out by myself. My adopted parents are great you know? She signs through her tears and fakes a smile. I shook my head and we both embraced each other.
     After a while she pulled apart and Zach was awkwardly sitting back watching us.
You guys are really sweet, you know? Zach signs and a slight smile pops onto my face.
We know. Kacy clarifies and he laughs a little. I could still see the pain sweeping across her face but she covered it well for the most part.
So, are you Zach? Kacy asks warily.
Yeah. He answers.
Are you going to answer my question? Kacy asks and I turn to Zach. We both knew exactly which question she wanted answered.
    Yes... I signed slowly. Her eyes widened to the size of soccer balls and she starting laughing.
    Good. You need someone to keep you in line when I can't be here. Kacy signs.
     So you guys want to eat? Because I'm starving! I sign and we all laugh.