She left

I kneel down beside the fragile looking figure in front of me. Ginny. Why didn't Zach tell me his sister was mute? She knew sign language?
I know. I assure her and she smiles shyly.
I want to see you more. It's not everyday anybody but Zach talks to me.  She signs. I smile a bit and push a bit of hair out of her face to examine her small features. Her mouth, her nose, but her eyes are far bigger and give away so much emotion.
Of course. I sign and stand back up. Zach looks down at his sister and ruffles the top of her head. She suddenly starts to swat at her head with a grin glowing on her face.
That's why you already knew so much sign language already? I sign after turning toward Zach.
Yeah. He signs and a smile creeps onto his face. Come on. He says after a while after his sister left back to their dad. I raised a confused eyebrow and he grabbed my arm gently and pulled me toward the table where Kacy sat uneasily. He said something to her and she got up.
He led us out the doors to the restaurant and down the road.

•••

You know Zach's little sister? Ginny? She is a mute! She knows sign language and talked to me? I used to think being mute was just not wanting to talk. Not, not able to talk. I shrugged as I paced around the room with Lacy sitting on my bed casually.
Yeah I heard. She signed it's terrible isn't it? I just nodded in reply and sat beside of her. She is leaving tonight so all of her bags are packed. She is just waiting for the taxi to pick her up.
Kacys head turned up to look at the doorway. That's my ride. She signs reluctantly. Don't forget your dress. She wiggles her eyebrows and I envelope her in a quick hug before we both stand up and she grabs her bags.
Bye! I should be back over Christmas break! She signs before closing the door to her taxi.
I just wave my hand and stand on the steps, watching the yellow vehicle drive away.

•••

Hey I wave to Zach as I pull the door shut behind me. I wear a grey and white tank top with jean shorts today since it was rather hot.
Zach was picking me up and taking me to the park with Ginny today. I was really excited to actually get to know her. I was really amazed on how a four year old girl, manages to master such a complicated language. Much different from English and few signs actually make sense compared to the word it means.
Zach stands in front of me with athletic wear and Ginny has her hand connected to his. It's really cute I think, how he is so sweet with his sister.
Hi, Holly, Ginny signs to me, freeing her hand from her brother. She runs up to me- surprisingly- and forces her hand into mine.
    I only manage a smile and a wave with my free hand before I allow Zach to take my other one.
    Once we are at the park, Ginny quickly rushes to the swing set and attempts to climb onto the seat. I laugh a little and walk over to help her up. I wedge me hands under her arms and haul her into the swing. She claps and thanks me. I get behind her and pull her back then release her to start the swing in a motion. I then push gently on her back as she swings her legs. She eventually started dragging her feet on the ground to slow the swing and jumped off, running toward the slide and jungle gym. I felt arms around my waist and I looked over my shoulder to see Zach smiling down at me.
    I'm kind of happy at our height difference because he makes me feel safe when his arms are around me. I smiled back at him and I was happy. I wish I could stay like this forever.
    But it couldn't.
    I feel his lips press against my head and I blush but replace it with a smile. I pull apart for a moment and lead him to a bench.
Is she really your sister? I ask him and he hesitates before replying.
We have different moms. But I think you figured that out already. Zach signed and I nodded. I really loved her mom and I thought she loved our family too, but after Ginny was born and she found out about her, he paused again and then continued. Disorder. She left. Never saw her again. Not long ago either.
I slide my hand into his and squeeze to show I'm there for him. I didn't really know what to say either. He reached his hand up behind me and played with the tips of my hair.
Are you going to miss it? Zach asks. I also pulled my own little piece of hair in front of my face.
Probably. I sign. I mean, there is always an end. One way or another I will get my hair back.
    Zach stares at me for a moment. Don't say it like that. You will get better, I promise.
Don't make promises you can't keep. I warn and stand up to go find Ginny.
    She is climbing up the slide and I laugh at the way she is attempting to go up it but never seems to make it.
    Ginny looks up at me when she slides to the bottom and I smile down.
Here I'll help you. I sign and she nods enthusiastically. I giggle and stand on he side of the slide. I grab her hand and she attempts to crawl up the slippery slide. She falls but my hand doesn't let go of hers, so she soon recovers and continues up the last part of the slide.
    She smiles brightly and claps her hands together. Ginny reaches her arms out and I pick her up, resting her in my hip.
She pulls off of me and I sit her down on the bench. I don't know where Zach is either but I'm sure he's okay. I turn back to Ginny.
Thank you. Ginny signs and I nod my head.
We have to go. I sign and she pouts. Let's go find brother. I pick her up and lead her to the bench I was at earlier with Zach. He was still there.
I have to go back for lunch Zach. I sign after I sit Ginny down. She turns straight to Zach and he sits her down beside of him against her wishes.
Okay we will walk that way with you. He signs and picks her up, but then he hesitates and says. I'm sorry about my family. And then he picks Ginny up and I follow him a few blocks down where he drops me off.
Ginny waves to me and I wave at her back. I turn to Zach, smile and wave at him too. He has his arms full of toddler so he just winks with a smile and sets off down toward his house I guess. I watch Ginny and her innocence through the window. She reaches her hands up to Zach and pulls on his hairs bit. I smile as he gently removes her hand from his hair.
    I smile gently and return back to my room. I stepped onto the scale.

100