Princess

5 months later

"Where are they?" I ask rushed. "They should've been here by now? what if their plane crashes or-" I'm cut off by Zach gently grabbing my flailing arms, smiling.

"Look behind you." Zach whispers which makes me twist my head.

"Ginny!" I screech and collide with the now 8 year old Ginny. She seems taken aback for a moment but flings her arms around my neck. I pull back just so I can see what she says now.

Your talking?! Ginny signs excitedly with tears in her eyes.

"Yes I am." I grin back. "Now I'll let you go see your brother." Ginny smiles and run past me and up to Zach. The way she wraps her arms around his neck and the way he holds her small petite figure up to him. A braid trails down her back and her head is buried deeply into Zach shoulder. A tear falls from my eye before I have the time to blink it away.

Zach pulls his head up from where it lay buried in Ginny's head. He raises an eyebrow and mouths. You okay?

I smile and wipe away my tears. Then I nod.

•••

"It's late today but you wanna go out to the mall tomorrow?" I ask as I sit beside Ginny on Miranda's bed. But for Christmas, Miranda had gone back to her home town in Philadelphia with her parents and siblings.

Sure. Ginny smiles with some missing teeth.

"I'm going to go check on something real quick, you can sleep if you want." I smile and hug her.

Check on something? You mean Zach? Ginny jokes.

"Maybe." I wiggle my eyebrows.

Ginny yawns. So cancer free so says Zach?

"Definitely. With my hair and all."

I smile and Ginny smiles too. "Get some sleep." I say and stand up leaving.

I get to Zach's room where he sits alone.

"Hey." I say and see him sitting on the edge of the bed.

"Hey, is Ginny settled?" Zach asks.

"Yeah." I sit down beside of him. "She's perfectly fine."

"Good." Zach smiles leaning in closer to me. I lean my head on his shoulder.

"I'm taking her to the mall tomorrow." I say. Zach's smile turns into a grimace. "What's wrong?" I ask.

"I don't want her to grow up like that. Like-" Zach starts. "She's actually a girl now. Not a baby."

        "I know, but that's part of life." I shrug.

"Has she told you anything about- I don't know... A boy?" He asks. It doesn't make me laugh. It doesn't make me happy. A frown forms on my face.

"She isn't as lucky as I was, Zach." I whisper. "Not yet anyway. Ginny's different in a way only some can understand and I get that."

"But you were..." Zach cuts himself off.

"I was a wreck I know that." I say honestly.

"But what if she gets like that." Zach whispers.

"Listen." I grab one of Zach's hands and squeeze it. "I was never stable. I wasn't even worth it and that's what I thought. I wouldn't kill myself but I didn't want to live. Since I left to the orphanage I wasn't happy. I wasn't stable. I was alone."

Zach grimaces and squeezes my hand back.

"I just don't want what happened-" Zach starts.

"What happened to me?" I ask sort of accusingly. Then I just close my eyes and shake my head. "I'm sorry that's exactly what you were talking and that's exactly what's true."

"Look I shouldn't have said that." Zach says softly.

"No you shouldn't have." I mutter but don't pull away from Zach's soft hug. "Look. She won't be like that. I was never happy. I'd never been happy in my life and I don't know the first time I even felt happy." I admit. "Maybe it was when I was first in our garden. I don't know." I shrug.

"You should be getting sleep." Zach says gently.

"I know ." I reply but don't move. I close my eyes and it's almost like there isn't anything around us. No walls to trap us. No rules to restrict us. No danger to harm us. And no people to fight us. It was just us. Soon my vision blurred and my mind drifted into dreams.

Zach's POV

I didn't want to bother her. Or wake her. So I just picked her up gently bridal style and carried her down to her room. I sit her in her bed and cover her with covers. I kissed her forehead before turning to the bed that Ginny lay in.

      "Good night princess." I whisper in Ginny's ear and kiss her temple.

___________________________

Authors note!

Thank you guys for reading and sticking with me😜 I appreciate it all and happy news in getting my cast off next week!!!!! I only had to have it on for two weeks but it's felt like forever😫 But again this story is coming to an end but I think I'm making a sequel to this. Then a second book which will be different 😂 I might just add it to this book I'm not sure yet✨😫

⚡️Darcy⚡️