CHAPTER EIGHT: PROBLEMS

[Akane's POV]
"Here are your rooms. Our rooms are exactly right across from you", Lily hands us our keys. We just finished P.E. and we are to take a 15 minute break before we start combat again. "Got it..", I take the key and enter my room.
The room was a bit smaller than the one at K's. I had the same bed, personal bathroom, closet, and etc. I drop my duffle bag on the ground, and collapsed on the bed. I hold my arm out, facing the ceiling, and closed my eyes.
'I need to complete the mission and leave this place..', I clench my fist as I think. "Yo! You done?!", I heard Mira shout as she knocked on my door. "Sheesh..", I mumble. I open the door and find Mira and Tomo leaning on the wall. "You do know that we still have an extra 5 minutes, right?", I look at them. "Yea. But we should talk about our mission as we walk", Tomo says. "Let's go, Lazy Suzy", Mira yanks me out.
"So.. We need to compensate as fast as we can", Tomo begins. "Yea, then we can get out of this place", Mira says. "So what should we do first?", Tomo asks. I stay silent. "Yo.. Akane, this is usually where you annoyingly jump in", Mira nudges me. "..why.. Are we doing this..", I mutter. "Why? Because headmaster ordered us", Mira looks at me with a confused expression. "..If we compensate.. They make up.. They might unite and we will be stuck with all of Maru's assassins.. Correct?", I stopped walking. Mira and Tomo doesn't say anything, noticing that I'm right.

[Shin's POV]
"Ready, Shin? We'll be late", Lily knocks on my door. I finished wrapping a bandage around my bleeding hand, and opened the door. "Ready", I said. We began walking when Lily grabbed my shoulder, pulling me back. "What happened..?!", she raised up my hand. "Nothing", I yanked it back. "Shin... Tell us. We're a team", Lily said. "A team? We're assassins, Lily.. They told us on the first day we enrolled here.. Everybody is an enemy.. Nobody has comrades..", I muttered. "Yo.. Shin", Jin calls out. "Shut it.. K's assassins made me realize how weak I am.. I don't need any team.. Any comrades.. As long as I have no heart, I can't be hurt", I clenched my fists and began to walk, leaving them behind.

[Lily's POV]
*bathump* *bathump*
'Shin...'
"Leave him, Lily. He's come to realize what a true assassin is.. We should, too", Jin walked away from me.
----------
I remember entering the academy.. I was stripped away from my family.. My home.. Everything. I enrolled to become an assassin, at the age of 8, to take revenge upon everyone. That was when I met Shin. I have never seen someone so emotionless.. So skilled.. I looked up to him. Shin was 9 years old back then.. He already looked like a professional.
When the principal said they were looking for the other top 2 to team up with Shin, I knew I had to be there. I wanted to be like him.. Emotionless.. And never hurt.
As we went on countless missions together, we slowly became closer.. I slowly came to love him. But now.. It's gone.. He looks like how he was back then.. It's all because of the K Assassins.. They took the Shin I know away.. They.. Will.. Pay..
----------

[Shin's POV]
'No more..'
I clench my fists as I walk to my last course.. Combat.

[Akane's POV]
"Now that I think about it.. It's true..", Tomo mutters. "No matter what happens.. We might.. No.. We will highly be stuck in this academy..", Mira clenches her fists. "Our styles are beyond different.. Our physical level, our mental level.. We are beyond this academy..", I mutter. "We are here, carrying out a chore for the headmaster..", Tomo says. "We are assassins.. We are meant to kill..", Mira looks up. "But.. We are loyal.. We will carry out this mission for now.. I will talk to headmaster about his further plans", I tell them. They only nod and we begin to walk, once more.

[???'s POV]
"Hm? It's Akane-chan.. Akane.. Akane..", I mutter as I watch them walk by from the window. 'Why is the name so familiar..?'

[Akane's POV]
We made it back to the gym, finding Lily, Jin, and Shin already there. I glance over at them.. And they seem much more different.
Jin.. Looking as if he has nothing to care about. Lily.. Looking hurt and depressed..
Shin... Looking dead and lifeless...
'If you continue to harvest feelings.. We will easily kill you off..'
"Okay.. Everyone is here, correct?", the instructor begins. "To end the day.. After seeing the sparring matches.. I want to see a tag battle", the instructor announces.
'What..?!'
"With the skills alone.. There is a difference in technique. I would like to see you paired up with the enemy", the instructor continues.
"Does he mean..", Mira begins. "Let's have K and Maru combine", the instructor announces. "Wha--", Tomo, along with everyone else, gasps. "Instructor. As much as I respect your decisions, we cannot work together with a K Assassin", Jin steps up. "I will be the judge of that. Let me have Jin and Tomo partner up with Lily and Mira. The winner of that round will face Akane and Shin", the instructor announces. "I can't work with someone who is a lower rank than me. I am the 2nd best in K, I can't work with the 3rd best", Mira steps up. "Well, you will. This tag battle.. I will make it more like K Assassination Academy. You will fight til you're at the verge of death", he says and everyone gasps, except for myself, Tomo, and Mira. "Not bad..", Mira smirks. "This is more like it..", Tomo grins. "Mira.. Tomo.. You will be enemies.. Try not to finish each other off", I tell them. "Ha! I'll try. Watch out Tomo", Mira laughs. "Don't underestimate me. You may be the 2nd best, but remember.. I was always this close to surpassing you", he gestures with his fingers. "Me.. Working with someone a rank lower than me.. Don't drag me down", Jin tells Tomo. "It should be the other way around", Tomo glares. "Instructor! That is not Maru's way! We never fight to the verge of death!", Lily shouts. "This will be a good experience for you all. You have witnessed our 3 best get defeated in a sparring by them.. You must know your enemies more to win. But of course no weapons are allowed, this will be a physical fight", the instructor ignores her. "Boo..", Mira says with a bored expression. "No fun..", Tomo sulks. "Let's begin.. Step into the center". "Good luck", I wave to them. "BEGIN!".