CHAPTER THIRTY THREE: KYO

[3rd Person's POV]
Letting go with a sigh, Akane raises a brow at him with no words. "What", is all he says. "..you.. I heard you when I was Akuma", Akane said straightforwardly, not giving a care about his, ever so slight, flinch.
"..right", is all Shin mutters. Never been in this situation before, he merely retains his composure. "Sorry", is all Akane says, earning a confused look from him. ".. I'm never falling in love. It's uninteresting and a waste of my time", she says, turning around. Grabbing her bag, she pushes him out and locks the door from the outside. "Fine.. let's get this project over with", she annoyingly growled.

[Tomo's POV]
I was heading to Akane to knock on her door, since Mira and I were about to go out to grab a bite, when I saw Shin outside her door. From the corner I just turned, I quickly turn back, hiding behind the corner with my back pressed against the wall. I know it was wrong, but I couldn't help but overhear..
"---It's uninteresting and a waste of my time", I heard her say before she went down the other side of the hall to work on the project.
"..Akane...", I mumbled to myself.

[Akane's POV]
'I can't focus.. no matter how hard I try.. little memories are floating into my mind..'
Without realizing how hard I was clenching the pencil, I'm brought back to reality when the pencil snaps in half.
"Focus", Shin said, raising a brow at me. "..I need a break..", I sighed, getting up from my seat. We were at the 4th floor in one of the library buildings, but I opened the window either way. Jumping down from the window, I land on one of the branches of a tree nearby. Taking a seat on the branch, I lean my back on the trunk and stare up into the leaves that covered me from the sun.
'Ever since the whole 'liking' thing came about.. the incident is reappearing.. I still remember it clearly..'

FLASHBACK•
...6 years ago

I was on a mission at the age of 10, with Mira and Tomo. Our team formed 10 years ago, when I was 6, but this mission was when we were 10. We were already ranked 1 in the Academy, and we've gone a long way.
We were all close.. the closest I've ever gotten to anyone.. but I kept a secret.
A single secret that was forbidden and unspoken of.. I had another friend.. another assassin.. but.. he was from an EX-Rival Assassin School..
Of course we promised to never tell anyone, and I kept that promise.. but soon enough.. everything changed on this one, single mission.
.
.
.
.
Age 10. Mission #473

"Your mission is to infiltrate Yusha Assassin Training Academy's personal mission in the warehouse on 58th street tonight. They will be stealing a prized jewel in a hidden warehouse, but we need it first. You will be interjecting their mission, taking the jewel for ourselves. But beware, they will be using their top 2 teams", headmaster explained to us.
"Do you accept?". "Yes, we accept", we all bowed as we kneeled on one knee.
*
Nightfall came and the three of us stood atop on the warehouse. I slightly glanced down and found 6 shadows creeping into the warehouse--it was the two teams from Yusha.
I couldn't lie about it.. I was anxious.. why? He was in the second top team in Yusha--meaning, he was here.
*
"Alright.. let's move", I ordered and we jumped down.
*
Everything escalated quickly. All alarms and security was disabled, thanks to their team 1. But things quickly changed..
Their team 1 backstabbed them, saying how they were playing an act and how they will be taking the jewel for themselves.
Their own top team.. slaughtered them.. Team two was down.. both members dead.. slit in the throat with a dagger--but the leader was still alive.. barely.. and that was Kyo.
*
"N-no.. d-don't do this.. p-please..", Kyo begged as he winced--attempting to stand back up. But it was no use, he only fell back down.
"AKANE! I got the jewel! Let's go!", Mira shouted to me as everyone was distracted. Mira and Tomo then sprinted off, thinking I was right behind them, but they were wrong. I haltered. I glanced back and saw the three approaching Kyo.
Yup.. that's Kyo. My friend from the enemies side. He was 10 years old like me, with medium-length jet black hair and golden colored eyes. And right on his right eye, he had a faded scar he got on a mission one time. We met 4 years after I met Tomo and Mira, through a small encounter at night when he escaped Yusha one night. Since then, we kept contact by meeting up at the spot where we met--atop of the tree branch that hung out over K's entrance gates.
His two teammates were killed off, and he was the only one left. Hesitating for a few seconds, I decided to turn around and sprinted towards them with full speed--but.. I was too late. The dagger punctured his chest and blood began to spew.
I was a second too late.. I only managed to kick their leader out of the way, having his teammates run to aid him.
I pulled down my black bandana, looking at Kyo with my teary eyes. "..k-kyo..", I muttered, kneeling besides him. "Ah.. Akane.. Thank you for taking the jewel.. it's better that you have it than them..", he mumbled with a slight smile. "Stop it.. stop talking.. stop smiling..", I cried, holding his lifeless, bloody hand.
"Ha..ha.. Akane.. I like you.. ha.. a lot..", was what he last said before his once lit up, golden orbs dimmed and closed..
I gripped his hand tightly as tears rolled down my cheeks. "--liked you too..", I mumbled.
*
"Tch! It's good that they're all dead! I especially hated Kyo, always smiling and thinking he knows best! Tch, now time to kill you off, since you are a K Assassin", the leader grins.
*
That was the moment where Akuma was created.. When Kyo was taken away from me, it just added to the pain of my dreaded past..
(A/N: Chapter is soon to come lol)
When I came to, my hands were covered in blood as I found the three members slaughtered before me. I wiped my face, having the fresh, warm blood smear on my cheek. As I walked off, I left three assassins who betrayed their headmaster/mistress.. two assassins of the friend I had.. and a true friend whom I fell in love with..
*
When I returned to the Academy, I shut myself away from everyone, ignoring the questions of why I was late, how the slaughtering of the witnessed assassins had nothing to do with us (not knowing my connection to Kyo), and why I won't come out..
Eventually I came out the next day, no emotions existed anymore.
Mira and Tomo eventually stopped asking me about what happened, and I was found wandering by myself (found by headmaster) with red eyes glowing one night--which headmaster soon eventually managed to explain to me.
*
Since then.. I never truly smiled like how I once did..

•FLASHBACK END•

"NEH! AKANE! What are you doing up there?!", I look down and find Mira and Tomo.
"Neh.. wanna hear a story?", I call out to them, having them look at each other with a confused look.
'You guys should know.. thank you Kyo.. you really opened up my heart then.. but I still can't smile..'

A/N: EXTRA EXTRA LONG CHAPTER THIS TIME! To make up for my disappearance and delayed & short updates.
•~• Ty for all the continued readers and for the patience you've all had with me ^~^ Creds to you guys for dealing with my very delayed updates :)