CHAPTER TWENTY-THREE

BITTER CHRISTMAS

- ⚜️ -

The four Marauders were in shock of Diana's entrance. They quickly recovered and were soon enough, engulfed in a huge hug. "Damn you, Diana. You just had to surprise us, Di!" James exclaimed. "You came last, though. Anyways — mother made Christmas pudding already. Looks good," he continued, gulping. The Mandrake turned everything they ate bitter.

       "Mother made Christmas pudding already," said Diana mockingly, mimicking James's posh British accent.

       "It's not my fault that I have a British accent!" James exclaimed with a huff. Diana found it amusing.

       "I'm fine with no accent at all. I could use an accent. Do you fancy a cup of tea?" said Diana, using the British accent she had. She preferred an American accent instead of a British accent. She didn't want to have a British accent; it made her sound posh and regal and that was the complete opposite of who Diana actually was. She was not elegant at al.

       James shook his head disapprovingly.

       Diana took a seat on the dining table, or whatever the Potters called it ("Table where we eat food.").

       "Let's open the presents, shall we?" asked Peter with a smile on his face. His infectious smile spread among the Marauders. His happiness tended to spread to them. It was a good thing. They really needed happiness.

        The five Marauders headed to the living room, where under the Christmas tree — laid twenty or more presents. Red, green, and colorful colors were there. This is much better than Christmas at home. I wish Jaime's here, thought Diana as she followed the rest, sitting around in a circle. But then she shook his head, remembering that she wasn't really fond of her little brother. Verbal bullying was a serious thing, and you shouldn't bully your own sibling either. It was just wrong. Put an emphasis on the word wrong.

       The Marauders didn't need time to think. They lunged for their presents quickly. Surprisingly, Remus was the first to get all of his presents, followed by Peter, Diana, Sirius, and the last one was surprisingly — James. Well, I might as well start now. Wait — I'll just see how it goes first. I can't just open them now, thought Diana, thinking ahead of the Marauders. I suppose we'll open James's presents first. He lives in the house, after all, and with that, Diana Allister was the first one to speak up. "We'll open the present we got from James first," said Diana with a soft smile. "He lives here."

       The Marauders seemed to agree with her. Scratch that. They completely agreed, and Diana was thankful of that.

       Diana looked at the present James gave to her. It was messily wrapped with purple glittery wrapping (very funny, James, picking the exact same shade as her eyes and adding glitter to it. James knew that Diana didn't particularly like glitter. It stained her hands and she didn't like it when it did that. Also, it was quite messy.), but the card was what attracted her attention. It seemed to be that James had done calligraphy. Diana looked at it with a laugh. The raven-haired boy had always had a talent with art, after all.