CHAPTER THIRTY

ANOTHER YEAR ONCE MORE

- ⚜️ -

"Welcome to another year of Hogwarts," said Headmaster Dumbledore, an odd twinkle in his blue eyes, which made Diana uncomfortable all of a sudden. "Now, onto the Sorting Hat song, and remember; happiness can always be found, even in the darkest of times, as long as one remembers to turn on the light."

       For one second, Dumbledore's eyes flickered to the five Marauders; oddly seated together in the Gryffindor table, Diana's Slytherin tie alike a rose in between thorns in the sea of scarlet and gold, standing out like the odd brick in a perfect house.

       Dumbledore clapped his hand as the Sorting Hat burst into its annual song.

In times of old, when I was new,
And barely started,
United by a common goal,
The founders themselves had the same yearning
"Together we will build and teach"
The four good friends decided.

And never did they dream that they
Might someday be divided.
For were there such friends anywhere
Like Gryffindor and Slytherin?
Except if it were the second pair,
Hufflepuff and Ravenclaw

Their differences caused little strife
When first they came to light.
Them, like pillars four
had once held up our school
now turned upon each other and
divided, sought to rule.
And for a while it seemed the school
must meet an early end.
what with dueling and with fighting
and the clash of friend on friend.

And now the Sorting Hat is here
But this year I'll go further,
listen closely to my song:
though condemned I am to split you
still I worry that it's wrong,

Oh, know the perils, read the signs,
the warning history shows,
for our is in danger
from external, deadly foes
and we must unite inside her
or we'll crumble from within

I have told you, I have warned you...
let the Sorting now begin.

      Diana politely clapped, as her mind quickly encoded the message the Sorting Hat was giving them. Slytherin and Gryffindor, friends? It sounded as impossible as someone trying to count precisely one second without a watch - or clock, really, but the thought of Slytherin and Gryffindor as friends...it was intriguing, and almost impossible. Diana was friends with the Marauders, but she was sure that the other Slytherins wouldn't ever consider Gryffindor as friends, but someday in the future, she supposed they might.

       But the Sorting Hat had said that Hogwarts was in danger, it warned them of it. About the four pillars that once held the school up high, and one crumbled, with the three trying to keep the school up high. The warning history shows, external deadly foes, Diana thought, her eyebrows knitting together in worry. She quickly turned to see James, Sirius, Peter, and Remus whispering about their planned pranks - and Remus trying to stop them from doing so. He'll give in anyways and help them.

       "Didn't you hear what the Sorting Hat warned?" asked Diana, causing the four boys to stop abruptly.

       "No. Why would I be?" asked Sirius, confused.

       Diana rolled her eyes at the four - Sirius, specifically. "It warned us about the warning history shows - external deadly foes. It even told us to listen closely to it's song, are you daft?"

       James shook his head and snorted.

       "Do you know that no one ever listens - or pay attnetion to the Sorting song? Everyone knows that it's just a chance for the Sorting Hat to spend its time making a song," he said. "Why would we pay attention one bit?"