CHAPTER THIRTY-SIX

DANGEROUS

- ⚜️ -

IT WAS NEARLY THE END OF Diana's sixth year. But things were only getting worse. Ivory was taunting her more than once a day, which only added stress to her upcoming exams. She didn't want to feel stressed. It only made her feel more pressured and it did not help at all, for she needed to be in a calm state during studying.

       And on that one day, her anger was boiling. Ivory Greengrass had awakened the dragon's fury.

       And nothing could stop that.

       "Ivory. Shut the heck up. No one wants to hear anything from your bloody mouth," said Diana with force. "No one likes you. They just like your family because you're part of the Sacred Twenty-Nine. You can just go and kill yourself."

       On that very day, Ivory Greengrass carried out a failed attempt to kill herself, slices running down her chest. It appeared that she used an unknown spell. But Diana knew that spell. It was a spell, a work of Severus Snape. One of his precious experiment, used to harm. To torture. To murder. To make people bleed, the scarlet liquid they were made up of spilling like a rushing flood.

       She was brought to St. Mungo's immediately. Diana was horrified of it. She stayed at the Marauders' dorms, curled up in a ball, not wanting to talk to anyone at all. Not even Remus, Sirius, or Lily.

       Because she had become a monster. A descendant of dragons that was going mad, silver tongue out of control. A dragon had its breaking point. And hers was when she nearly caused the murder of someone. The thought of hurting someone felt like a knife to her chest, making a wound bleed out endlessly, unable to be healed. A permanent wound, marked on her heart forever. Killing stains your heart, no matter how pure your heart is, and Diana Allister nearly killed someone.

She didn't mean to tell Ivory to kill herself, it was her mood swings and stressed state that made her do that.

       Remus had tried comforting her. It had worked, but Diana had burst to tears after that. It seemed that nothing could hear the wounds that were forming in her heart.

       The professors had even took pity on her, trying to get her to talk by involving her in questions and class activities.

       But none of it had worked. Deep inside, Diana was broken. As broken as ever. More broken than a piece of wood cracked in half - and pushed into oblivion.

       She was like a puppet that was controlled by her emotions. Her emotions were like a ventriloquist and it forced her to do what it wanted to do, like a puppet, pulling on her strings roughly. On some times she couldn't even breathe, her chest tightening, unable to move at all.

      Her persuasion had only gotten worse day by day.  One day she told Remus to shut his mouth and get out. Remus didn't come back to her for three days. She had also asked Sirius to go and 'shag himself', well, that was the less rough version, but he tried to do it. But that didn't even make Diana laugh at all. She stared at him, emotionless as she forced him to leave the room. Sirius did not return for five whole days. And on present time - was the first day of Diana's end-of-year exams. Which she was not looking forward to, since she only spent her time studying (boring) and shutting everyone out. Studying was her only escape besides reading. She pressured herself to study and stay up, not doing anything else besides occasionally eating and showering. That was it.

       There was a knock on the door later that evening. Two knocks. Which meant that it was Sirius Black. Her Sun and stars.

       Diana didn't answer. She let out a mumbling sound, which Sirius, who was at the door, took as a yes. Sirius Black came in, greeted with the sight of Diana.

       But it wasn't like the Diana he knew. Her hair was let down in loose waves. Diana had always braided it, in curls and twists that matched her perfectly. Her eyes were puffy and red from crying. She was mostly covered by the blue blanket Remus had prepared for her when she moved in, snuggling into it, a pillow held tightly, covering her chest.

       Sirius came in with a cup of tea in his hands, handing it out to Diana.

       Diana didn't say anything. Actions could speak unspeakable words. Diana gave a small nod, which Sirius took as a 'thank you'.

       "S – Sirius." Diana said in a barely ausible whisper.

       It was the first word she had spoken to him after a week or so. Sirius sat next to her, drowning in the silence of the deserted room. The room had been mostly empty, since the Marauders spent most of their time at the library.

       "Diana," Sirius whispered. "You've been away."

       The silvery-blonde haired girl gave a weak nod. It was probably the weakest nod Sirius had ever seen. Nevertheless, it was still a nod. A nod of confirmation. Sirius missed her. It was like missing the Moon when the Sun came up, daylight shining through his windows as he missed the black, inky night sky, dotted with constellations.

       Diana sat up, wrapping the blanket tightly around her. It was like a shield that protected her with contact. Contact that she feared. Because she was afraid that she would hurt others. She was so scared that she would hurt her loved ones and that was the reason she was locking herself in the whole time. She was terrified, that she would hurt one of the Marauders, or even worse, Lily.

       She had done it before; she nearly caused someone to die.

       "We've missed you." said Sirius in a low whisper, parting her hair from her face so that he could see her. The breathtaking face that Sirius fell for during his third year. Diana sipped on her cup of tea, flinching from the heat. Sirius had made it warm – even though it wasn't winter. His mind flashed to a memory. Diana's favorite season was winter.

       Diana gave a weak smile. "I know," she whispered. "I – I just can't, Sirius."

       "Can't do what?" asked Sirius.

       The former Slytherin shook her head. She wasn't willing to answer.

       Secrets were secrets because they were meant to be kept by someone, away from the rest of the world. Secrets were tiny fragments in your heart, hidden away with a lock. The key was far away, not in reach. They couldn't be unlocked easily. You have to find the key within their heart.

       "I – I can't – can't tell you," said Diana, hugging her pillow tightly using her left hand, right hand occupied with a mug of tea.

       Diana's cup of tea fell down with a crash.

       "Scourgify!" said Sirius, absorbing the tea into his wand quickly. He hugged Diana tightly, not wanting to let go, worrying about her.

       That hug meant unspeakable things to Diana. I love you. I care about you. I missed you. I can't handle it without you. Those messages were sent through a hug. A simple act of affection was all that the couple needed.

       Diana let out a sigh as she held hands with Sirius tightly, sending coldness to Sirius's hand.

       But Sirius didn't mind. Because he was with Diana, and she didn't shut him down at that very moment. They were together as one. Sirius and Diana. Diana and Sirius. The black dog and silver dragon. The grey-eyed and the violet-eyed. The ones with grey hearts, torn apart between the dark and the light.

       Sirius Black watched as Diana Allister began to close her eyes. She looked peaceful, a serene expression etched upon her porcelain skin.

       But she was still broken.

- ⚜️ -

this is what u get when u listen to light of the seven while writing a chapter. why is this so sad. looking back at this chapter i wrote when i was twelve, i hate myself for making this.

why can't i just write a happy fic for once

gotta kid, flash!