CHAPTER FORTY-SIX

VENI, VIDI, VICI

- ⚜️ -

A cold, unwelcome breeze blew through the winds of the stone castle, rustling the faded leaves softly. The colors that were once bright appeared to have turned to stone - cold, grey, and scattered. The dawn seemed dark, with the pale gold sun rising coldly from the towering mountains and the orange and pink brushstrokes no longer vibrant.

       The day appeared somber, with distant chatter no longer erupting, replaced with the hushed whispers in the gloomy halls, and the silence of the woods. A flock of birds flew from the forest into the sky, heading to the unknown as the light whispers spread through the castle, carrying unwanted news that none would want to hear. News of the outside world, the world they weren't familiar with. The world that they didn't care about, about to be perished just like how they wanted it to be.

       The flowers that bloomed before had seemed grey and dim, no longer having the vibrant, bright colors and the grass looked less green than before. They were faded and dark, unlike the color they had been.

       None loved what had happened. They'd think that they had conquered the darkness. Veni. Vidi. Vici. The phrase that Julius Caesar had created himself. We came. We saw. We conquered. The young girl had come to the castle, hoping to follow the steps of her family and bring honor. She saw that what she had expected from it wasn't true. She was different, and the only sin of her life was being different. She thought that she had conquered, and yet she was an innocent girl. They are all liars, and each one better than you, spoke a voice in the girl's mind. Liars surrounded her left and right, whispering soft lies into her ear, bringing her into the darkness slowly.

       Soft blonde tresses fell from the girl's hair, covering her face as she buried her nose in a book, as the hot, warm sun shone above her, covered with grey somber clouds.

       Rain soon fell, bestowed to the castle by the clouds as they rained on the roof alike bullets, as thunder rumbled outside the castle, and red and gold surrounded her among the mahogany table.

       She was different, and that was her sin.

       Spoons, forks, and knives clinked against the golden plate in the dim hall, not having the previous glow it had. The food tasted far barren than before, and they had noticed it, as they savored the bitter flavor hesitantly.

       Thunder rumbled outside as the young Allister turned to her right, her violet eyes meeting steely ones, the grey eyes that she had fallen for. He was her King Menelaus and she was his Helen of Troy, the epitome of true beauty, far more breathtaking than Aphrodite nor Psyche, he used to boast, which she had denied with a small grin, though she was flattered with the compliment at that time.

       But there was no more time for compliments anymore - the war had taken its toll on them and it brought darkness.

       Oh, the darkness that had already haunted the little girl since she was a young age, since the day she was borne with the violet eyes and cursed. Cursed with the Gift, or rather, the Curse of the Dragon that had ran for centuries. The curse that the Allisters had endured, and none loved the curse - they were able to speak the language of the dragon, and yet they suffered the madness bestowed upon them by the gods they believed above.