CHAPTER FORTY

DEAR LILY, FROM JAMES

- ⚜️ -

"Are you sure that you want me to read this to you out loud?" asked Diana with a raised eyebrow at Lily, who was nervously chewing on her fingernail. It was her nervous habit. Diana's nervous habit was zoning out; she'd let her imagination run free and was not able to focus then.

      She looked nervous, since James had never actually sent her a letter, if love poems counted. Besides that, James hadn't asked Lily out in weeks – Lily was worried that he'd ask her out again. And the whole thing repeated once more. Just like how it was for several years until Lily truly rejected James. Then he had changed for the better good.

       Lily gave a small, uncertain nod at her, emerald eyes flashing with worry.

       "I hope that you're serious about this," said Diana. "It's from James. It could be anything," she said with a shrug.

       Diana's eyed the letter and started reading. "Dear Lily, I am sorry for my 'annoying habits' over the course of six years. I regret it. I will do my best to 'not bother you again' since you called me an 'arrogant toerag'. Signed, James F. Potter – he really did good this time," Diana mused, eyes twinkling with mischief. She had a plan in mind. A plan involving getting Lily and James together.

       "Well, he won't bother me again, I guess," said Lily, a small smile on her face.

        A small, uncertain smile that indicated that there was a possibility that Lily Evans fancied James Fleamont Potter. Diana took that chance, whatever risk it had. She wanted the two to be together. She had to make James happy – as much as he had annoyed her, he had comforted her after her visions and helped her through it, along with the other Marauders. They helped her a lot, and she was thankful for them.

There was an odd tone in her voice that made Diana raise an eyebrow, but Lily brushed it off quickly. Diana went back to scowling.

       Diana waved her wand and casted a non-verbal spell. Lily was instantly silenced. Lily scowled at Diana as she parted her hair away from her face, grinning like a Cheshire Cat.

       "Send him back a letter," said Diana.

       Diana reversed the spell verbally. "No way," said Lily. "Why would I send back a letter to Potter, out of all people? He's an arrogant toerag – always messing his hair up as if he had gotten off from his broom and bullying – " Lily stopped.

       " – Snivellus who called you a mudblood," Diana snapped, scowl becoming deeper.

And with that, Lily gave in to Diana when she mentioned that 'when you rejected James he went to be a better person and when you rejected Snape he went off joining Death Eaters'.