ACT THREE

ACT THREE ; TIME
"Time is running out."

37

37.5 - tick tock, tick tock
1 aug. 1977

It was the first of August, the day she had gotten the last letter. The last letter she would ever receive from her mother. Her mother, who she deeply loved. Her mother, who comforted her when she was afraid of the thunder and lightning when rain was pouring hard. Her mother, who waited patiently and treated her when she was sick. Her mother, who was always there for her through thick and thin.

She opened the envelope, hands shaking, knowing that it would be the last; in a pitch-black envelope was her mother's handwriting. And the last she would see of her mother. The last memory of Cynosure Rosier-Allister.

Tick. Tock. The clock in the house was just reminding her of the time she had left. Time was running out slowly. Tick. Tock. Time seemed to go faster as she skimmed through the letter, eyes travelling around the thin, cursive handwriting of her mother. Tick. Tock. Sirius stood in the background, watching her as tears were threatening to fall of her face slowly.

Dear Diana,

If you are reading this letter, then this is the last of me. You know this, for I used a black envelope. I would only use the black envelope if it's the last letter I would ever give to you. You're not going to see me anymore, Diana.

I want to tell you the truth about me. I'm not a Rosier. Red hair? That was dyed, my dear. Your father and I are siblings.

The Allisters had always done inbreeding at crucial times. Your father and I did what was necessary. My blue eyes are, indeed, a rare characteristic between the Allisters. Stay safe. This means that it has just begun.

Because I knew from the start that the Dark Lord was going to be the one to kill me.

If you are reading these words, then the Dark Lord has killed me, after he discovered that I was betraying him. I did what was necessary. I did what was good. I will not ever side with the Dark Lord. He found out that I was defiant, and I am taking the consequence of it.

This is your last memory of me. Take care. I love you, my daughter.

For the last time,
Cynosure Allister.

Tears dropped down from her cheeks, staining the yellowing old letter with water as the ink began to spread out, staining the gaps between her mother's handwriting.

Sirius approached her slowly, putting a hand on her back as he held her close.

He held her, the fragile broken puppet, carefully like a chest of gold. She held on to him just as tightly as tears wetted his shirt, but he didn't mind at all.