Chapter 3

Maxon's POV

It's been 8 months, and I still love and hate America Singer. I miss her so much. Her smile, laugh, kisses, and her. Kriss is always talking about the wedding, but I can't think about anything that involves me and Kriss together when I've met and fell in love with someone like America Singer. 'God quit it she cheated on you.' My inner thoughts said. Now I'm always having a battle with them. Them always telling me I should've picked America or fooling Me and saying why I hate her. I hear a knock on the office door.

"Maxon it's time to work out things about the wedding." Kriss says. I feel like Kriss can't even see I love or once loved America. It's like she's blind. Actually she's too busy dealing with the wedding. That and she's best friends with Sylvia's husband for some reason. Father told me once I marry Kriss I will get the crown since I chose her and I quote "instead of the five." Just like that just a number. She's so much more than that though even if I'm the only one that knows it.

"Okay I'm coming." I say pushing my chair away from the desk, and walking over to her. 'That's it be happy Kriss is more than a number too.' She takes my arm and I walk her to the great room. I pull the chair out where she's gonna sit being a gentleman and all. Then I sit next to her and the planning starts.

"So Maxon who do you want to be your best man?" Sylvia asks. I know I can't have one of my little cousins because they are disastrous so I chose my oldest cousin Derek. He's 19 old enough, I think.

"My cousin Derek." I tell Sylvia and Kriss smiles. Sylvia looks down at her papers and then turns to Kriss.

"What about you Kriss?" Sylvia says.

"I want America to be my maid of Honor and I want Celeste and Natalie to be my bridesmaids." Kriss says, and before I have time to think Sylvia says

"Let's call all of the bridesmaids and maid of honor to ask them first." Sylvia says and she puts the phone on speaker as we call the America. One ring. Two ring. Three ring. She doesn't answer she puts down the phone and calls who I think is Celeste.

"Hello." Sylvia says after it stops ringing.

"Hi." The voice says laughing, And I recognize that voice immediately. It's Americas.

"America is that you?" Sylvia asks. 'She sounds wierd.' My inner thoughts say again.

"Yeah it's me how are you." America says in a laughing voice again and then I hear shifting. In the background.

"I'm good I need to ask if you're going to be Kriss's maid of honor." Sylvia says. Back to business. There's so many things I want to say to her and ask her but I can't.

"Yes she is in fact we were just talking about that." Celeste says. Interrupting what sounded like America saying no. I hear more shifting.

"Sylvia tell America to quit smoking." Celeste says then I hear and exhale and I know what it is. America smokes. Has she always done that is she trying to kill herself? Why would she smoke. I hear wind and then a window and then America yells.

"You're an ass why did you do that." Kriss smiles for some reason. And I hear more shifting.

"America are you smoking." Sylvia asks.

"Yes and she won't stop, she smokes like a chimney." Celeste says and Kriss laughs.

"America quit smoking Celeste quit caring. Back to business. America are you gonna be Kriss's maid of honor." Sylvia asks getting irritated.

"Yeah sure." America slurs she sounds drunk. She isn't is she?

"Didn't Kriss tell me to be a bridesmaid. Celeste asks. And I zone out.