4:0

Aunt Cass

O M N I S C I E N T

"Who the heck is banging on mydoor?" Mahogany began to say as she heard the double doors of the shelter being banged on.

She was working late dealing with the finances when she heard raucous outside.

She didn't understand why someone was outside of the shelter in the rain and this late at night. It was currently going on ten o'clock.

She looked through the peephole and was appalled by the sight before her. Sarye.

The dazed look in her eyes, the layer of sweat drenching her face, and the incoherent words she spoke, Mahogany knew this all too well. Drugs.

"Are you high sweetheart?" She spoke gently, careful not to scare the young girl. It hurt her to see anyone in these circumstances, especially if they are young.

Sarye giggled in response, not sure what to reply. She wasn't exactly sure how she got here, but she was glad she did. Last thing she remembered was finding one of her old friends and snorting a thick line. The feeling was almost euphoric and she still hadn't come down from her high.

"Let's get you into some dry clothing." Mahogany ushered a bewildered Sarye into the building not forgetting to double lock the door after her.

She figured she would give her some clothes then make her a quick warm meal to sober her up.

It took a little over an hour for Sarye to come to and she was kinda disappointed in herself.

Up until yesterday cocaine was her life. The thought of her next high consumed her, but then she started thinking of her aunt Cass, which led her to feeling guilty.

She knew her aunt would never want her doing this. She would want better for her and she was starting to want better for herself. It's just that the cocaine is like her best friend and she wasn't quite ready to give it up.

She had tried to get clean before and failed. Quite frankly, she didn't know if she had the will power to do it.

The next morning...

Sarye avoided eye contact with Mahogany as the walked down the short hall.

Not only was she upset at herself, but she was embarrassed.

"You don't have to be embarrassed honey. It's fine." Mahogany assured her. It wasn't her place to judge the young girl's actions. She had seen all kinds of people come through here. Addicts, victims, the whole nine. There was truly nothing for Sarye to be ashamed of.

Not knowing what to say Sarye nods with her head down.

The cafeteria was full of laughter and liveliness. Everyone was joking and eating. For once it didn't feel like a shelter, it felt like a home.

Mahogany led her toward the plates that started off the assembly line of breakfast foods.

She got food at almost every station when she heard a voice that she hadn't heard in over three years..

"Sarye." The person questioned in a shaky, tear-filled voice.

Short and to the point.

Who called her name?

What do you think is going to happen next chapter?

-Lexi💓

PUB: 6/11/16