6:0

S A R Y E

"Honey Amun here is a student at FIU majoring in pyschology. He's single and handsome. He's also a star basketball player at his school and did I mention he was single?"

"Mama!" I slighty raised my voice to get her attention. For thirty minutes she's been going on about him. She practically told me this boy's whole life story, now she's explaining his current situation. I honestly didn't care to hear about this pyschology studying, drug dealing basketball player, or whatever he did on his free time. I just wanted to eat.

"Girl calm down. It's not that serious. I just thought you needed to interact with someone your age. Amun has a basketball banquet coming up, and I think it'll be fun if y'all went together, if he doesn't have a date that is."

"I think that's a great idea. Best thing I heard all day." That hazel-eyed nitwit responded. I turned my head and scowled at him, between her trying to spruce up my nonexistent love life, and him staring at me like I was the steak and egg croissant he ordered, I don't know who was working my nerves harder.

"No one asked for your opinion you nimrod. Just sit and think about your food ariving please and thank you." His jaw clenched, his nose flaring similar to that of a raging bull at a bull fight. Who cares though? He really didn't faze me.

"It's taking everything not to smack your curls straight. Now this boy is trying to be nice and not respond, but he got better restraint than I would've had. Have some couth."

I opened my mouth to talk but quickly closed it. I didn't need her reaching across the table and smacking me up in this crowded restaurant. The embarrassment would be on ten.

"Your hair is very pretty. It's curly like mine. Mommy says I'm a natural black princess and she's a natural black queen. Are you a natural black queen?" The sweet high pitched voice rang in my ears, tugging me from my thoughts. This little girl was nothing short of adorable.

 This little girl was nothing short of adorable

"Yeah she is Lai." Mr. Hazel responded before I got too. His little compliments were flattering, but I wish he would just leave me alone. I was not interested at the moment, and I'm pretty sure I never will be.

"Thanks." I said quickly, causing a grin to grace his lips. Poor boy was coming on stronger than old lady perfume at church.

"Wow. You said something nice it's a miracle. What happened to my sweet Rye? When did you get so rude?" Mama scolded shaking her head.

"She's gone. I guess life just hit me hard." I said looking out the window meaning every word.

"I'm gonna hit you if you don't stop being so damn negative. Sounding like a bootleg B.E.T movie." Mr. Hazel mumbled. Obviously not low enough because babygirl caught it and holding her hand out, for money I'm guessing.