T H R E E

Jackson Avery

"Go order me a head scan. Try and schedule it as soon as possible." Shepherd told me.

I walked out the door and walked up to the nurse at the front desk.

"Shepherd needs a head scan asap, peds patient Payton Johnson." I told the nurse, trying to find paytons chart that id left here.

"All of our rooms are booked for the next 4 hours or so. I could push things around, maybe get you in around 6 instead of seven."

"I cant wait 3 hours. I need her in now. The longest i can wait is maybe half an hour. Put a 911 on her. She needs a scan now." I said with a note of finality.

I walked back into her room to see a 1st year resident trying to keep a yelling Payton from getting up.

"What the hell did you do?!" I yelled.

"I- I must have reversed her meds on accident." She stuttered out.

I grabbed a needle and the correct meds for her. Because of her spinal and brain injuries combined, we had to give her a form of sedatives to keep her from becoming restless. I pushed the meds into her IV tube and she calmed down.

"Alright ,Payton? Payton can you hear me?"

"Wa-wat-w..." she choked out, but her throat was hoarse from yelling. I was confused as to what she wanted, but after a second it hit me.

"Oh, yeah. Lemme go get some i'll be right back." I walked out quickly, grabbing a pitcher of water before returning.

I poured some water into a plastic cup with a straw and handed it to her. She went to take a drink, spilling water all over herself in the process.

It was then that i noticed how badly her hands were shaking. I held the cup up to her face and the straw to her lips. She took a sip and you could see in her eyes how painful it was to swallow. She tried not to show it, though.

I placed the cup on the bedside table next to her.
"Feel better?" I asked.
She nodded. "Thankyou."

"So, why'd you get stuck babysitting me? Isnt that more of an interns job? Or are you just that shitty of a resident?" She asked, her voice hoarse and barely audible.

"I'll have you know, I am a fantastic resident. And maybe I'm just babysitting you out of the kindness of my heart." I responded, a little annoyed.

"Yeah, well tell whoever put you on babysittng duty not to bother. I may not remember anything but im sure as hell not staying here for two weeks."

"Actually... you are. You cant even stand, much less walk. You couldnt remember your own name. As long as im babysitting, youre staying right here."

"Actually... im not. I dont care whose babysitting, im leaving."

"Listen, do you think i want to be babysitting some brat from peds? If i had a choice i would be out there saving lives, not in here with you."

"Sorry im such an inconvenience." She said, rolling her eyes and turning on her side to face away from me.

I was about to say something when Hunt walked in.

"Im gonna take her up for her head scans." He said before going over to her and helping her into a wheelchair. She tried to refuse his help but he wouldnt allow it. He finally got her into the chair before wheeling her out of the room.

Damn, was this gonna be a long week.