F I F T E E N

Alex Karev

I was taking out the bathroom trash when I noticed pieces of plastic from a razor that had been smashed. I marched down the hall to Paytons room, flinging her door open.

"Where are they?" I demanded.

"Alex I'm getting dressed." Payton yelled at me.

"I don't care, where are they?" I demanded once again.

"Where's what?" She asked.

I held my hand open, revealing the pieces of smashed plastic.

"Oh." Was all she said.

"Payton, you need to stop. Where are they?" I asked her a third time. She walked over to her dresser, opening a small drawer that was hidden from view. She took out the three blades and handed them to me.

"How long?" I looked at her questioningly.

"The night I got into that argument with Jackson."

"Payton that's like a week and a half!" I yelled. She just nodded her head. "No more." I said walking out of the room.

I stormed into Jacksons room, pissed.
"What the hell did you argue about with Payton?" I demanded.

"She wouldn't tell me why she was crying at work." He said.

"Go apologize to her." I ordered him.

"No, I didn't do anything wrong." He said.

"Go apologize." I said holding my hand out to reveal the broken razor and blades. He huffed at me and stomped down the hall to her room.  I walked downstairs to finish taking the trash out.

When I came back inside I saw Jackson and Payton sitting at the bar drinking coffee. I guess he apologized.

"So are you excited?" I heard Jackson ask.

"What are you excited for?" I asked.

"I'm not excited, it's not a big deal." Payton rolled her eyes.

"It is a big deal. Today they pick the intern appy and I think Paytons gonna get it." Jackson said looking from her to me.

"If you do get it, are you nervous? I mean it's your first surgery." I asked.

"It's not my first surgery. Besides appy's are simple. Open, identify, ligate, irrigate, close."

"What do you mean it's not your first surgery? Interns don't even scrub in until the intern appy normally. "

"Don't you remember, about a month back, when Webber first hired me there was all that talk about a civilian doing an aortic repair?" She asked me.

"That was you!?" I was completely shocked.

"Yeah. Why do you think Webber let me into the intern program? I thought you knew, Derek and Mer know." She shrugged. I glanced at the clock on the oven.

"Oh shit! We have to go." I said grabbing my keys off the counter. Payton and Jackson grabbed their coats and travel mugs and we left.