F O U R T E E N

Miranda Bailey

"Are you alright?" I asked Payton as she walked up behind me.

"Fine." She simply stated flipping through our next patients chart.

"Well alright then. I know it's your first day but Webber said you were good, so do you think you can run a central line by yourself?" I ask.

"Definitely. Whose it for?"

"Ms. Sulkowski in room 204. And also if you can Ms. Goldstein in 307 needs a new catheter and Mr Daniels in 216 needs his drain removed." I said handing her the three patient charts.

"Alright thanks Dr Bailey." She said and walked off.

Payton Arizona

I was finishing up with Ms Goldsteins catheter when suddenly the door opened.

"Morning Ms Gol-" Jackson started, but stopped when he looked up and saw me.

"Ms Goldstein, Dr Arizona." He said.

"Dr Avery." I nodded, not making eye contact with him. "Alright Ms Goldstein, you're all finished." I smiled at her and covered her back up with the blanket.

"Thanks dear." She said turning back onto her back. I smiled at her one more time before hurrying out the door.

Once I was out the door I let out a breath I hadn't realized I was holding in. I could hear Jackson finishing up with the patient so I quickly walked down the hall to Mr Daniels room.

"Morning Mr Daniels, I'm Dr Arizona." I smiled at the elderly man.

"Morning Doc." He said.

"How are you feeling today?" I asked.

"I've had a terrible pain around my incision all this morning." He explained.

"Alright well let me just take a look." I told him lifting his gown. I was not very happy with what I saw.

"I need to go speak to Dr Bailey, I'll be right back." I said to him sweetly , slipping out the door.

I paged Dr Bailey 911 and took off down the hall.

"Arizona, what are my rules? I told you never to page me unless you patient is dying so unl-" Bailey started to say, but I cut her off.

"It's Mr Daniels. He has a fistula." I said slightly out of breath.

"Wha-, mr Dan-, fistu-, well what are you waiting for let's go!" She stuttered.

We ran into Mr Daniels room and Bailey started barking orders.

"Get him prepped for surgery and page me a 2nd year. Good catch Arizona." She said running out of the room to go scrub.

"Guess I'm not scrubbing in." I mumbled under my breath. I went to work prepping him for surgery surgery, running through different procedures in my head.

*sexy ass time skip*

"How was your first shift?" Meredith asked me as I walked in the house.

"Eventful. Every day is like that?" I asked.

"Or worse." She corrected.

"Oh shit." I said laughing. "But today was the most fun I've had in a long time. I can't believe I get to do that everyday."

"It's stressful at first, but you get used to it." Derek added.  I was about to say something else when I heard the door open.

"We're home." I heard someone call out. Alex and Jackson walked into the kitchen, laughing about something.

"Hey guys." Alex said. Meredith, Derek and Alex all started having their own conversation.

"Payton can I talk to you over here for a second please?" Jackson asked.

"Yeah sure." I said. I already knew what he wanted to talk to me about, and I wasn't ready to talk about it.  He pulled me aside into the living room and we sat down on the couch.

"Listen Jackson, I know that you're gonna ask me about today in the storage room. It was nothing, just a patient that made me a little emotional it's not a big deal." I said before he could open his mouth to speak.

"Payton, you were crying in a storage room. It's not good for your recovery to keep all this bottled up."

I stood up from the couch, running my hands over my face. "Jackson I'm fine." I insisted, my voice slightly raising.

"No, Payton. You weren't fine." Jackson slightly raised his voice.

We broke out into a full fledged argument.

"What the hell is going on in here?" Alex asked walking in the room. I didn't say anything, just glared at Jackson and walked upstairs, slamming the door to the bathroom. I sunk down against the bathroom door, exhaling a ragged, shaky breath. I took a razor out from under the sink and stepped on it, freeing the blades.

1..2..3..

I trashed the plastic from the razor and ran some water over my arm. I bandaged it and left the bathroom, going straight to my bedroom.

I had a pounding migraine so I laid down, letting myself slip away from my thoughts and into blackness.

-
I finally updated!

But anyways, there's more Jackson-Payton moments to come. Along with some encounters with Alex. I wanna try for a double update today but I'm not sure if the next chapter will be finished cause I'm trying to make my chapters pretty long.
Also I wanna test your Greys Anatomy knowledge. So if Jo and the rest of the interns have just started their internship, what year are Meredith, Jackson, April, Hunt, Yang, etc

Answer-------

And btw I'm a terrible writer so it's not gonna exactly follow the plot line, like some things may occur out of order. Altman might be here a little longer, I might keep yang etc. Anyways thanks for  reading, keep voting and commenting and shoutout to everyone who votes. And special thankyous to you guys who comment especially on almost every chapter.