E L E V E N

Derek Shepherd

"Payton, I just got an emergency page. I'm gonna call someone and see if they can stay here with you." I said, walking into the kitchen where Payton was drinking coffee.

"I'm not a kid Dr shepherd. I can stay at a house by myself." She said.

"You don't have to call me Dr Shepherd, you can call me Derek. And if you fall or something happens, I want someone to be here."

"Derek, I can walk on my own just fine. The only reason I slipped on the stairs yesterday was because my feet were wet. Go to work, I'll be fine."

I hesitated. "Your coming to work with me. I don't want you home alone,and you don't want me to have anyone stay with you so your coming to work with me. You can sit with the nurses or trail the interns or whatever." I said. She thought it over for a little bit.

"Fine. Lemme go get dressed." She said.

"Oh, and Payton..."

"Yeah?" She asked.

"No coffee." I said taking the mug off the table in front of her. She glared at me jokingly and stalked upstairs to changed.

She came back down a couple minutes later wearing dark skinny jeans, a black jack Daniels whiskey t-shirt and black converse. "Ready?" I asked. "Yup." We got in the car and drove to the hospital.

*At the hospital*

I left Payton at the nurses station and was walking to the OR when I ran into Jackson.

"Dr Shepherd, what are you doing here? Aren't you supposed to be at the house with Payton?" He asked.

"I got paged 911 for Sarah Miller. I left Payton at the nurses station, if anything happens I'll be  in OR 2." I said hurrying away.

Payton Arizona

"Hello Dr Avery." I said as he walked up to the nurses station, grabbing charts.

"You can call me Jackson. I'm not your doctor anymore." He told me.

"Jackson..." I said, testing the name out.

"So what are you gonna do all day?" He asked, leaning against the counter.

"Sit here. Watch people save lives. Sit here some more."

"Well I'm just gonna do rounds right now, wanna come?" He asked. I practically jumped out of my chair.

"Someone's excited." He said with a laugh.

"I've been sitting here 5 minutes and I'm already bored out o my mind." I said as we walked down the hall.

"Well, this next patient is nothing super exciting. He was impaled, barely missed his rib cage. We're just keeping him for examination." He explained. We walked into the patients room.

"Good morning Mr. Bentley. How are you feeling?" He asked the patient.

"Pretty good. I've caught a little cough, though." Me Bentley said, coughing deeply.