T W E N T Y- S E V E N

"I love you too." And, in the pouring Seattle rain, he pressed his lips to mine.

Jackson Avery

I pressed my lips to Payton's. I don't know how long we stood in the pouring rain like that, all I know is that we were interrupted by applause and whistling. Callie and Bailey stood a little ways across the parking lot from us, grins spreading from ear to ear.

"I'm gonna get hell for that tomorrow." Payton whispered before she buried her face into my chest. My hands went to her back and she laughed and shook her head. I held my hand up in a wave to Callie and Bailey and they laughed and continued their walk to their cars.

"You think your gonna get hell for that? I have a surgery with Torres tomorrow."

--

Payton Arizona

"Jackson. Jackson, get up." I shook Jackson shoulder.

"What time is it?" He asked, rolling over to face me.

"Three forty five. We were only asleep for half an hour." I kicked my way out of the blankets and swung my legs over the edge of the bed.

"Then let's go back to sleep." Jackson mumbled into his pillow.

"We can't. Hospitals calling in all available doctors, they're swamped with patients who've gotten hurt in the storm. " I got to my feet and pulled on a pair of scrub bottoms. I turned and saw Jackson still laying in bed. I grabbed the pillow I'd been using and threw it at his head, "get up!" He grunted and rolled out of the bed.

"Woah woah, what are you doing?" Jacksons eyes widened to the size of tennis balls as I peeled off my sleep shirt.

"Changing my shirt. Oh please Jackson, you're not an ugly man, you've obviously seen a girl in a bra before. We're friends, I'm comfortable around you. We sleep in the same bed for Christ sake." Jackson just looked at me a little dumbstruck.

"Just get dressed." I laughed. "And close your mouth, you're gonna catch flies."

I walked downstairs and pulled on my sweater over my scrubs. I grabbed Jacksons heavy coat that he rarely wore to protect him from the rain. As I pulled it off it's hook a thick envelope fell out of one of the pockets. The only marking on the outside was the name Gunther scrawled in Cristina's cramped, swirly handwriting.

"What's this?" I asked Jackson as he appeared in the doorway. He grabbed the envelope from me and inspected it.

"It's from Cristina. She gave it to me before she left. Didn't she give you one?"

"Mines sitting in between the pages of a book on the bookshelf in my room." I blushed. "I couldn't bring myself to open mine either."

My pager went off again, breaking the silence. "We've gotta go. Dying people await." I held open the door and we ran to the car. And hanging out of the corner of Jacksons coat pocket, getting soaked by the rain, was the letter from Cristina.

--

"Avery, take bed 2. Arizona, help out wherever you can in the pit." Hunt ordered as Jackson and I stepped into the ER. "Actually, Payton, come here." Hunt said, not looking up from his tablet.

"This is very rare that this happens, but I'm giving you permission to take the lead on incoming cases and go solo on a surgery if you absolutely have to. You have experience that the other 1st years don't and we need all hands on deck. And don't tell the others in your class that I was the one that gave you permission, they'll get pissy." Hunt handed me an ID that meant I could run labs and book OR's in my name.