T W E N T Y- F I V E

"Matthew, I'm gonna need you to lay back." I tried to restrain Matthew.

"Emma. That's my coworkers daughter. I thought she was out of the blast zone-" he rambled on, his eyes wide.

"Matthew, were gonna do everything we can for her, but right now I need you to sit back. Can you tell me Emma's last name?"

"Blackwell. Her moms name is Ella. What about her mom? Did you guys find Ella?" Matthew craned his neck to look into the hallway.

"I will update you as soon as I know anything, but for right now I need to you to stay calm. You're our only source of knowledge about Emma and her mom. I need you to stay calm Matthew. Can you do that for me?" Matthew nodded his head and slumped back in his bed.

"Alright, I'm gonna go check on Emma." I rushed out of the room.

I ran up to Hunt. "Jane Doe's name is Emma Blackwell. She was in the blast with my patient in 203. Were still waiting for an ID on the mother, an Ella Blackwell."

"Alright, I'll keep an eye out, thanks." Hunt said.

"Dr Avery! You have to see this-" Payton handed the tablet to me, out of breath.

"Is that-?"

"That's Matthews X-Ray. Pretty great,huh?" A smile stretched across her face. "I mean it sucks obviously, the mans nose is gone but still. Do you think you can fix it?"

"I know that we can fix it. It'll be similar to the clef palette reconstruction, just a little more extreme."

"Great! When do we sta-" Payton was cut off by monitors screaming and nurses rushing in and out of Matthews room.

"Right now I guess." I replied to her question and we both ran to Matthews room.

"His airways blocked and there's no airflow to or from his nasal passages." The nurse moved out of the way, opening a path for Payton and I.

Payton swept her fingers across the back of Matthews throat, "nothing." She balled her hand into a fist and slammed it against Matthews chest.

"It has to be lodged, we need to open his airway. Arizona, you take this one." I took a step back from the bed.

"Serious? Oh god, um, give me 3mm tubing and a scalpel." I watched as Payton jumped into action, perfectly placing the tubing. Her shoulders seemed to relax as she eased into her role.

"Alright, I'm done. We need to get him prepped and to an OR stat." Payton pulled off her gloves and threw them on the tray as the nurses wheeled Matthew out of the room.

"Great job. Now let's go build a nose." My lips stretched into a smile and I led Payton up to the OR.

--

"Flawless. That. Was. Flawless. Matthew is gonna have the nose of a god." Payton smiled and laughed as we exited the OR.

"That was all thanks to your amazing save when one of the grafts didn't hold in and you caught it with a clamp. That was pretty amazing." I praised.

Payton and I were discussing how well Matthews operation went when Warren ran up to us.

"Turn around and run." He said slightly out of breath.

"Ben, what are y-" I was cut off by the sound of a very familiar voice.

"My baby!"

It was the voice of Catherine Avery.

Here's a short shitty chapter for ya! I've come back from the dead to deliver this two page chapter for you. If I don't fall asleep there should be another chapter up soon.