T H I R T Y- T H R E E

Payton Arizona

It had been over two months since Jacksons accident. I spent the next three nights after Jackson woke up in the chair next to his bed. He tried a couple times in the first week to talk about everything leading up to the accident but I'd shut him down, telling him he needed to focus on getting better. Eventually he dropped the subject and it pretty much disappeared altogether. He started dating April and as Jacksons condition improved our relationship deteriorated. We talked less and less, I went back to sleeping in my own bed and my night terrors had returned. Except for this time they didn't just consist of my childhood. I repeatedly had to relive the vivid dream of Jacksons death in multiple ways, multiple times a night. Every time the dream always ended with the same chart with same message printed on it. "You did this to me."

--

Jackson Avery

"Are you sure you don't just want to go home?" April asked, looking at me with worry.

"April, I've been back to work for over a week now. I'll be fine, stop worrying." I looked away for the road to smile at her.

"I know but I just don't want you to overwork yourself. You just got back and you already have a huge surgery today. With Payton nonetheless." April opened her door as I pulled into an empty parking space.

"What's that supposed to mean?" I turned to April as we walked up to the hospital.

"I mean, you guys won't even talk to each other anymore. You used to be so close and now you can't even look at each other without fighting. What even happened between you two anyways?"

"Nothing... happened. We just, grew apart.  I mean everyone knew that we would never work out. Besides, now I have you." I smiled at April and we walked into the hospital. I kissed her on the cheek and we went our separate ways.

--

Payton Arizona
"Incoming trauma, we have a twenty seven year old male, head lac, possible free fluid in the abdomen. Female, twenty seven, unconscious and intubated at the scene." The paramedics rushed in the two patients from the trauma bay.

"What the hell happened?" April asked.

"Parked car, roll over down a hill. I'm guessing things got a little... heated, and someone hit the gear shift.

"Payton, you take him I've got the girl." Kepner order me.

"I can't pull a trauma, I have a surgery right now." I protested.

"You don't anymore." Kepner handed me a tablet and left. The new residency director, Doctor Minnick approached me.

"What do we have?" She asked. I didn't like Minnick much and the feeling was mutual. She disliked me because I didn't follow protocols to the tee and she did.

I explained to her about the possible abdominal bleeding and facial lacs and she gave me a lecture on how I should page plastics for the facial lacs. As soon as she turned away I rolled my eyes and went back to what I was doing.

I pulled out the ultrasound and searched for any free fluid in his belly. "Well shit." I muttered. I walked over to the phone and paged Grey. 

"What do we got?" She asked as she pulled on a pair of gloves.

"I did an ultrasound and found what appears to be a severe liver lac. I just need you to confirm and determine whether it needs surgery."