T H I R T Y

Jackson Avery

"Dying, what do you mean you're dying?" I asked dumbstruck. My head had started to spin and I couldn't focus on anything.

"I have pancreatic cancer." Payton was staring at me, but I couldn't force my gaze away from the floor.

"Pancreatic-" I couldn't finish repeating the phrase. "How long have you known?" I finally snapped my gaze up from the floor to look at Payton.

"2 days before the storm." She told me. "Or at least that's when I got the test results back. I've known for months. I just needed labs to confirm it."

"Payton-" I didn't know how to finish my sentence.

"I- I've gotta go." Payton shook her head and ran out of the room. It took me a second to process everything that had just happened.

I flung the door open and look down both ends of the hall but Payton had disappeared.

"What's wrong with you? You look like you just saw a ghost." Alex asked.

"Payton's dying." I blurted. I couldn't focus on anything as my mind tried to process all the information I'd just received.

"Jackson, what the hell are you taking about?" Alex questioned, seeming unconcerned even though I'd just told him one of our close friends was dying.

"Payton is dying." I repeated. "She has pancreatic cancer, she just told me."

"Wha-how do-" Alex seemed unable to form a proper sentence. "Where is she?" He finally asked.

"I don't know, she just took off." My head spun.

"I'll go down this way, you go that way. Page me if you find her." Alex told me. Asking me to walk was like asking me to drink a whole bottle of vodka, spin around with my forehead on a bat, then throw a perfect gymnastics pass.

"Hey, have you seen Payton?" I asked one of the nurses passing by me. I asked any and everyone that I came across if they knew where Payton had gone. Finally one of the desk workers told me they'd seen her leave a few minutes before.

Without hesitation I ran out in the parking lot. I fumbled with my keys and got in my car. I tore out of the parking lot with no clue where I was going. I pulled my phone out of my pocket and dialed Payton's number.

It rang seven times and I waited for the voicemail tone. On the last ring there was a small crackle and I heard Payton's voice yell into the speaker.

"Hello?" She struggled not to be drowned out by the roaring sound in the background.

"Payton! Oh thank god! Where the hell are you? What's that sound?"

"Jackson, I'm fine. Stop calling me."

"Payton, please, just tell me where you are." I begged her. My phone was beeping at me, signaling that it's battery was low. I dug around in the backpack sitting on my passenger seat.

"Jackson, stop calling. I am fine. I'm safe where I am. Stop worrying, I can take care of myself." My phone beeped at me one more time before the call cut off and my battery died.

Payton Arizona

"Jackson? What the hell?" Our call had been cut off mid-conversation and my phone went back to its home screen. I stood on the side of the road, staring at my phone in confusion when all of a sudden I got another call from Jackson. I immediately picked it up.

"Hello? Payton?" I heard Jacksons voice crackle through the phone speaker.

"Jackson, are you alright? What happened?" I questioned.

"I'm fine, my phone just died. Where are you?" He picked right back up on the subject.

"I'm at the docks. Don't come and get me, I'll be home later."

"Payton, we need to talk no-" there was the sound of squeaking tires and then a huge crash. Jacksons voice no longer came through the speaker of my phone.

"Jackson?!" I questioned multiple times. "Jackson, answer me! Jackson!" I screamed into the speaker.

I never got a response.

Heres a short ass chapter for y'all. Please please please COMMENTTTTT. PLEASEEEEE. I'm begging you. If I get 10 comments I'll update. I mean if I don't, I'll probably still update.😂 But the more comments the faster and more I write