T W E N T Y- T W O

Payton Arizona

*2 weeks later*

"Please walk us through what happened in the OR, Dr Arizona. "

"Well, I was invited to scrub in on a surgery by Dr. Pierce. She had heard of the impromptu surgery that got me hired here and wanted to have me observe a cardiac surgery."

"I'm going to interrupt for a second, what year are you doctor?" The outside board member asked.

"I am a first year resident, I took my test a week and a half ago."

"And what surgeries have you performed in this hospital and with who?"

"I first performed an impromptu aortic repair while I was visiting the hospital with Dr Shepherd. Dr Jackson Avery happened to be with me at the time so he was present in the OR. The second surgery was also with Dr Avery, it was a clef palette repair on an 8 month old boy. I planned to only observe but I was given the honor of being able to assist in extracting the bone from his hip and placing it in his jaw. My 3rd surgery was the intern appy which I was awarded but Chief Hunt."

"So would you say that you're fairly well experienced in an OR and in surgical procedures? More so than your fellow residents?" The board exec asked.

"If you mean to say that I have performed more surgeries and logged more hours in the OR than my fellow residents then yes."

"And you were the one who made the call that the axe in Mr Jenkins chest needed to be pulled, correct?"

"I did make that call b-"

"So, you're the one to blame. Honestly, Ms Arizona I would have thought that you would not make such a petty mistake as this."

"Pardon me? I am not to blame. I did not pull the axe from that mans chest-"

"But you made the call. The others look up to you and when you made that call they did exactly what you said, they pulled it."

"Reid pulled it. And you say this like she meant to. I made it perfectly clear that Mr Jenkins axe was to be pulled, but only when we were in an OR with an experienced resident or attend-"

"Then why did Reid tell me that you instructed her to pull the axe? I'm sure you meant to make it clear that you needed an OR bu-"

"Reid said what?!" I yelled. I could no longer keep my formality with this man who was quite frankly, pissing me off. "Reid didn't purposely pull the axe, she fainted and hit the axe on her way down. Now if you'll excuse me I have somewhere to be."

"Ms Arizona, we aren't done with questions-"

"Well obviously I didn't do anything wrong in this situation so stop wasting your time and mine. I may only be a resident but I'm still a doctor, and when a doctors time is wasted, people die. Would you like that to happen?" I yelled at him. Hunt who was also in the room looked like he was trying to refrain from laughing at the terrified look on the board exec's face.

"No ma'am bu-"

"Then I think we're done here." I stormed out of the room and to the Peds hall. I spotted Reid, who was in placing an infant back in the nursery.

"Reid! What in the hell is wrong with you, you selfish lying-" I continued spewing profanity as I angrily approached Reid. Karev had stepped out into the hall with Shepherd just as I was about to hit Reid. I lunged at her and she came at me but Alex's hands were around my waist, holding me back as Derek held Reid back.

"I can't believe you tried to get me fired! I didn't tell you to pull that axe, you fainted. It's not my fault you're a weak hearted pussy ass bitch!"