S I X T E E N

Jackson Avery

"You're early." I stated as I walked into the scrub room of OR 1.

"I'm always early." Payton shrugged, continuing to scrub.

"It's better than late." I said as I started scrubbing in.

"Late doesn't save lives." And with that she walked into the OR to be gowned and gloved. I smiled and shook my head, finishing scrubbing. Payton was just taking her place next to where I would stand, when I walked in.

"Did you study?" I asked. She nodded her head not looking at me. She was moving her hands over the table. I realized she was running through what I would do during the surgery, with her eyes closed.

"Describe what we'll be doing."

"You'll go in to the extraction points and take out small pieces of bone, so minuscule that it won't effect the growth of the child. You will use the extracted bone fragments to lift and support the upper jaw, repairing the clef palette and leaving a scar so tiny it will be almost invisible as the child grows and his nose hides it." She recited, not breaking her concentration as she continued to run through the surgery.

"And what is our focal extraction point?"

"The child's left hip. He's right foot dominant so extracting a small piece from the left hip will not hinder his growth nor his physical abilities. The bone will repair itself to nearly 100% over time." She said as she finished running through the operation in her mind. I smiled and nodded although she couldn't see me. Perhaps that's why I did it, because she couldn't see me.

My scrub nurses came in, wheeling in baby Samuel with them. Payton was standing beside where I would, waiting patiently for me to resume my position next to her. I came up behind her, guiding her to the right, where I normally would stand. I looked her dead in the eyes, one of the only things revealed by her scrub cap and mask.

"You make the first cut."

Even through her mask, I could see she was smiling. The way her eye color brightened and her eyes crinkled in the corners. She held her hand out to the scrub nurse.

"Scalpel."

•-•

"That was amazing!" Payton exclaimed as we walked out of the OR.

"You did amazing. That was crazy, I cant believe you did nearly that entire procedure by yourself." I told her.

"Thankyou, by the way, for that. I've operated before but never on someone so young or  small." She thanked me.

Just as I was about to say something else Alex came walking down the hall, applauding.

"You did great." He said to Payton. "You need to work on not looking at the monitor every 2 seconds though."

"You saw?" She asked, confused.

"I was watching the entire time from the gallery. Wanted to see how good you were."

"I didn't even notice you in the gallery." Payton told him. I had noticed Alex but I didn't want to distract Payton or make her nervous, so I didn't say anything to her. She held a hand to her chest as she yawned.

"Come on, let's go home. You need to sleep after that." I told Payton. "Are you ready Alex?"

"I have a couple more patients to finish up with, but you guys go ahead. I'll catch a cab home." He told us.

Payton and I clocked out and I drove her home.
-

"I still don't understand why you won't let me drive." Payton said with a laugh.

"Because it's dangerous after you just had brain surgery." I smiled at her.

"Well technically, I didn't just have brain surgery, it was like 2 months ago." She trailed after me as I unlocked the front door.

"But most people wouldn't be able to safely go to work until about 8 months later. Your recovery time was amazing."

"Hey, Jackson?" She said,  stopping to look at me as we walked through the front door.

"What's up?" I asked.

"What was 'my accident',? The one that put me in the hospital." I froze. Nobody should have ever had to go through what she went through. She didn't deserve the pain and torture of knowing.

"Oh, Payton...."

Here's a short ass update with a cliffhanger. Sorry it's so short I was rushing this update cause I really wanted to get something up for you guys . Anyways like, vote and comment please. Comment Comment comment. Your guys' comments are what push me to update and keep writing so please comment