T H I R T Y- S E V E N

Jackson Avery

"If you don't get up were gonna miss our flight. Come on Jackson." I was waken up by Payton jumping on the bed and hitting me with a pillow. I groaned and rolled over, burying my face in the sheets. Payton continued to hit me with a pillow and yell at me to get up.

"Payton, I swear if you don't stop hitting me with that pillow..." I laughed.

"What are you gonna do about it?" She taunted, dropping to her knees on the bed.

"Oh, I don't know, how about... this." I grabbed her by the waist and rolled her over on the bed. She giggled and wrapped her legs around my waist. I tangled my fingers in her hair, bringing my lips to her neck.

"Jackson, we have to-" I cut her off by kissing her.

"Shh, we don't have to leave yet." She laughed into my mouth.  When we finally pulled away from each other for air Payton was smiling up at me.

"We're gonna miss our flight." She whispered.

"We can catch a different one." I said leaning in again. She put her hands against my chest and pushed me away, her eyes teasing me.

"No, we can't. This can wait, our plane cannot." She crawled off the bed and walked into the bathroom.

"Tease." I called after her.

--
"Last call for flight 206 to San Francisco." They called over the intercom.

"You are so lucky we didn't miss our plane." Payton said a little breathlessly as we slowed from our sprint across the airport.

"How would it have been my fault? We got stuck in traffic." I said as we handed the attendant our boarding passes and went through the tunnel.

"We probably wouldn't have gotten stuck in traffic had you been able to keep it in your pants." Payton whispered. I playfully pushed her and we found our seats.

"So, what cases are you gonna present at the convention?" Payton asked me.

"I was thinking about the Bentley case and baby Samuels clef palette repair we did together."

"Why the Bentley case? I mean he was impaled which isn't exactly run-of-the-mill but why is it special for the convention?" She asked, chewing on a piece of ice.

"Oh let's see, someone who didn't even work at the hospital repaired his dissecting aorta." I said sarcastically.

"I always forget about it you know, the whole me being a patient thing." Payton told me. "Remember when we hated each other? God, that seems like forever ago."

"To be fair, you did call me a shitty resident." I joked. She nudged my arm and smiled at me, laying her head on my shoulder.

--

"Hey wake up, we're here." I rubbed my thumb over Payton's shoulder. She yawned and stretched her arms in the air.

"You hungry?" I asked her as we got to the baggage claim. She still looked like she could drop to the floor at any second from exhaustion. Her nightmares had gotten worse and sleeping in the same bed wasn't keeping them away anymore. The only benefit of it was that I could wake her up to keep her from clawing at her face.

"Not for crappy airport food." She groaned as we found our bags and made our way out of the airport. We hailed a cab and drove to the hotel, Payton fighting to stay awake.