T H I R T E E N

shoutout to lilybree for her amazing comments that actually give me life. Seriously she brought me back from the dead to write this chapter so Thankyou. Anyways comment and vote please (bc im self promo af)

Leah Murphy

"I'm so excited." I said, sitting down at a table with Jo, Ross, and Stephanie.

"Why?" Shane asked.

"Because of the new doctor that Weber hired, duh." I said, thinking it was obvious. They all drew blank faces.

"Oh come on, you seriously don't know? A couple days ago some civilian came in and performed an unauthorized aortic repair, successfully. Webber hired him that day."

"Oh yeah, I heard about that surgery. I thought it was just a rumor someone made up." Stephanie said.

"Nope" I shook my head. "It's true and apparently he starts today." I said. Just then Webber walked in with a young girl in scrubs. She was probably a new nurse considering she only looked to be in her early 20's.

"Good morning. I'd like to introduce you to Dr Arizona. She'll be joining you in your year of internship. Please make her feel welcome." He said before walking away, leaving the young girl standing there.

"Come sit." Ross,being the friendliest of us, told her, pulling a chair over for her. She smiled at him weakly before sitting down.

"So, Dr Arizona, what's your first name?" Stephanie asked.

"Payton." She said quietly.

"Well Payton, welcome to Seattle Grace.Whose service are you on today?" Jo asked.

"They have me on Baileys service today."

"Yikes. Definitely not an easy start for your first day." I said.

"Is she really that bad? She's one of the few attending and residents I haven't met."

"You've met all the attending and residents already?"

"I know most of them. I met the majority of them a couple months ago when I was a patient here."

"You were a patient here?" Jo asked.

"Yeah. I had bad spinal fractures, multiple brain bleeds and a lot of deep wounds." I explained.

"Damn,were you in a car accident or something? What the hell messed you up so bad?" Jo asked.

"Actually, I don't know. Nobody ever told me what put me in the hospital, they always just referred to it as 'the accident' or 'my accident'. And now that I think about it, I can't remember what happened either. I just remember waking up here." My eyes were wide as realization dawned on me.

"Well, let's just call it fate. Cause if your accident never happened, you wouldn't be working here." Leah said taking a bite of her food.

"Fate, I like that." I thought over the word. Just as I was about to say something else, Jo got a page.

"Baileys paging me, I'm on her service today too. You can come with me." She said and we took off to the elevator.

()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()

"Who the hell are you?" Bailey asked as we quickly walked through the halls.

"Dr. Payton Arizona, I'm the new intern who Weber hired. Today's my first day."

"Well Dr. Arizona, I have 5 rules for all my interns-"

"Oh, I know them. I had Dr. Wilson explain them to me on the way up."

"Proactive, I like it. Jo take notes from Dr Arizona. And here we are. Dr Arizona would you like the chart so you can present."

"Oh no Thankyou. I also had Dr Wilson give me the run down on your current patients. This is Mr. Alexander McCarthy. 52, diagnosed with stage 2 pancreatic cancer and prior diagnosis of pancreatitis. Today we start his first round of chemotherapy and radiation to try and prevent surgery."

"Very good. Alright Mr McCarthy, so whats gonna happen is-" Dr Bailey started to explain when the patient cut her off.

"I know how this works Dr Bailey. I watched my mother go through it. I also know taht doctors like to sugarcoat things. Please don't sugarcoat my cancer. I know what my chances are and I've accepted them." Dr Bailey looked very taken aback.

"Aright then. Let's go start kicking cancers ass."  She said with a weak smile, wheeling his bed out of the room and up to radiology.

We had just finished Mr McCarthys radiation  and chemo and we were rolling him back to his room. We got his bed back into place and Dr Bailey started filling out his charts.

"How do you feel Mr McCarthy?" Jo asked.

"A hell of a lot better than my mother did when I watched her go through this. Thankyou, Thankyou so much." He said tearing up a little bit.

"Alright well you get some rest." Dr Bailey said and we walked out of his room, shutting the door.

"I um, I'll be right back." I choked out, speeding away from the two other women. I found a supply closet and shut the door before sinking down against the wall. I let tears roll down my cheeks, sobs silently racking my body. I felt a dark weight pressing down against my chest as I replayed Mr McCarthys words through my head over and over again. The imprint of his tears permanently pressed against the back of my eyelids which were rimmed with tears also.

"Payton?" A soft voice questioned. I looked up from where I had my face buried in my knees.

"I'm fine Jackson." I muttered. He walked over and sat on the ground next to me, pulling sm into his arms.

"Do you need to go home? I can take you home and get Webber to clear you for the day."

"No. It's my first day here, I can't be leaving early. I'm fine." I said standing up.

Jackson opened his mouth to interject but I cut him off.

"Thankyou Jackson but I'm fine. I have to go." I said wiping my eyes and slipping out of the room. I could hear him sigh as I shut the door and walked down the hallway.