T H I R T Y- O N E

Payton Arizona

I wished and wished that Jacksons voice would come back through the speaker and pester me about where I was and when I'd be home. I sat on the small bench over looking the water and silently sobbed. I had no idea what had happened but in my gut I felt that it was bad.

It had been almost 20 minutes since I'd heard the crash but I just couldn't bring myself to hang up the phone. Finally, an unfamiliar voice sounded over the speaker.

"Hello?" The voice questioned.

"Hello? Hello? Where's Jackson? Is he ok?" I immediately bombarded the man on the phone with questions.

"Ma'am, I'm going to need you to calm down. What's you're name?"

"My name is Payton Arizona.

"Alright Payton, my name is Officer Benson. I'm here with a man named Jackson Avery, do you know him?"

"Ye- yes, he's my umm- my friend. And my coworker. Is he alright? Please tell me if he's alright."

"Payton, your friend was in a car crash. Another driver ran a stop sign and hit Jacksons car. The paramedics weren't able to get here yet, so I can't update you on how he is. I'm very sorry."

"Is he conscious?" I questioned. My heart sank when the officer told me Jackson had been hit by a car. I could only imagine how bad it was.

"I'm sorry ma'am, he is not. Unfortunately Jackson is trapped in the car and we don't want to remove him until the paramedics arrive. They should be on scene shortly." I immediately took a disliking to Officer Benson . I could sense by his dry tone that he would rather be doing something different instead of talking to me. But quite frankly, I didn't give a fuck.

"The paramedics are here. They'll be transporting Jackson to Seattle Presbyterian. You may want to contact his family."

"No! Jackson has to go to Grey Sloane."

"I'm afraid that won't happen. Seattle Pres is much closer and Jackson needs immediate medical treatment."

"No please. I need you to push that Jackson be taken to Grey Sloane. It's crucial."

"Ma'am, again, I'm going to have to say no. I don't think you fully understand-"

"I'm sorry, officer." I cut him off. " I'm afraid I left something out when you asked me my name. My name is Dr. Payton Arizona. I'm a surgeon at Grey-Sloane Memorial Hospital. Dr Avery is also a surgeon. He is one of the most skilled Plastic surgeons in the country. The thing I'm asking you to do could be crucial to Jacksons survival. He cannot die. Do you know what happens if Dr Avery dies?"

"I'm no-" the officer stuttered at my suddenly hostility.

"If Dr Avery dies, deformed babies, burn victims, trauma patients, none of them get their chance to live a normal life. Without Dr Avery some of them won't get a chance at life at all. Would you like to be responsible for that?"

"No ma'am, I-"

"I didn't think so. I will have a trauma team ready to meet Jackson and the paramedics at Grey Sloane. Goodbye." I hung up, my adrenaline rushing from the sudden burst of anger at Officer Benson. I got back in my car and hauled ass to the hospital.

--

"Where is he? Where's Jackson?" I burst into the ER yelling. Traffic had been terrible so I knew Jackson had already arrived way before I had.