N I N E T E E N

Payton Arizona

"How's your hangover?" Jackson asked, walking into my room.

"Fantastic." I sarcastically mumbled into my pillow. I somehow found enough strength to roll myself out of the bed and into a standing position.

"See, if you'd listened to me and waited the year till you're legal, this wouldn't be happening right now. Sadly, the first time isn't always the worst, though."

"Aww, how cute. You think this is my first hangover." I patted his cheek as I walked past him and out of the room.

"So you and Jackson, huh?" Meredith remarked as I entered the kitchen.

"Ha." I gave a short laugh and laid myself out across all three of the barstools at the island. "How is it that, even though my eyes are closed, I can still see you giving me that look?" Meredith laughed at my question.

"It's a superpower that comes with being a mom. Well, I've got to go to work, enjoy your day off." Mer grabbed her coat and travel mug.

".. with Jackson." She added.

"Wait, I'll ride with you. I wanted to put in some extra hours today." I sat up and opened my eyes.

"No. Today is your day off, and you've already logged more hours than you need this week. Plus, you have a broken hand."

I sighed, but knew better than to argue with Meredith. "How is shitface, by the way?" I asked.

"If by shitface, you mean DeLuca then he's fine. His face is a little less prettier but he's fine. I'll be sure to give him your best wishes."

"You do that. Bye Mer."

"Bye. HavefunwithJackson." She squeezed the last part in before shutting the door. I settled myself back down onto the barstools. It wasn't long before I heard two men talking, and my feet being lifted up then settled back down on someone's lap. I opened one eye to peek at Jackson and Alex who were having what seemed to be the loudest conversation they could.

"I'll be right back, I have to go change laundry." Jackson excused himself.

"So how's the hangover?" Alex asked me. I sat up and opened my eyes to see Alex in his scrubs.

"Ehh." I shrugged. He laughed and set down a cup of coffee in front of me.

"So.. you and Jackson, huh?"

"Why does everyone keep saying that?!" I exclaimed.

"Oh please. It is so obvious. He has a thing for you. At first I think it might have been a sisterly thing but now, it's definitely not. He likes you. Besides, everyone saw you two at the party last night. Him all up in between your knees, sharing your cake. And trust me, that ain't the only cake he's interested in."

"Alex!" I yelled at him as he cracked up at his joke.

"Oh you know it's true. Everyone at the hospital sees it. Hell, every guy at the hospital feels it too. They all think your hot. Plus your a damn good surgeon. Seriously, haven't you noticed?"

"What do you mean, noticed? Noticed what?"

"You are so oblivious. Men, patients, doctors, whatever, they all stare at you. Every single one of them would kill to get into bed with you. If you didn't know, your pretty damn hot. You've gotta nice ass and your rack is pretty great too."

"Shut the hell up Alex."

"Of course, you're like my sister so I don't think of you that way-"

"Plus everyone knows your screwing Jo." I interjected.

"As I was saying, I don't think of you like that. But he-" Alex pointed in the direction of the laundry room. "He does. Why do you think Kepner hates you? Anyways, he's into you and you're into him. I say go for it. Anyways, I've gotta go. Love you." He kissed my temple as he grabbed his stuff and walked out the door.

Alex was probably one of my favorite people in the entire world. He was the brother I never had but always wanted.

"So, what are we doing today?" Jackson asked as he walked back into the kitchen.

"Well breakfast is first. Beer and cake?"

"Sounds good. Except for you've had enough beer for age 20. Let's stick with coffee and water until next year." He walked over to the fridge and pulled out the leftover cake and two water bottles.

I pushed my bottom lip out into a pout as I hopped onto the counter. He shook his head at me.

"Put that thing away, I'm not letting you drink anymore." He said pressing his finger lightly against my lip. I laughed and stuck my tongue out at him. He gave me a plate of cake and then turned around to grab his. When he turned back around to face me, I dragged my index finger that was covered in frosting from the upper left part of his face to the bottom right.

He stayed eerily quiet and just nodded his head though he had a smile on his face. I was too caught up in laughing to realize he had grabbed my whole slice of cake in his hand and before I knew it my whole face and front of my shirt was covered in cake. This started a full on cake fight in the middle of Merediths kitchen.

About twenty minutes later we were nearly out of cake. Jackson had the last slice and was slowly walking toward me with it. I was backing up, urging him to put the cake down. I bumped the trash can and the things on top came out. I turned around to pick them up, but immediately felt a painful sensation in the bottom of my foot. I gasped and fell backwards but Jackson arms were around my waist before I could hit the floor. He lifted me onto the counter and grabbed my ankle.

"Oh shit. Let's go to the hospital."

-

"Hey Brandy. I'm gonna take Payton to bed 8. Just call Grey or Karev or someone. Thanks." Jackson carried me to bed 8 and set me down. I was barefoot and we were both looked like shit.

"Close the curtain." I told Jackson.

"Why?"

"Have you seen us?" I told him. He smiled and pulled the curtain shut. We waited about ten minutes and then Meredith arrived at my bed.

"Why in the hell are you here, and why are you covered in cake?" She said with a look of utter confusion on her face. Jackson and I just bust out laughing. This was turning out to be an alright day off.