Chapter Three: The Uninvited

Shabnum stood in front of the woman who destroyed her brother's life; Mahnoor Qureshi. 

Since their divorce, Mahnoor snatched Ayaaz away from his paternal side of the family and Shabnum loathed Mahnooor. Ayaaz rarely visited his paternal aunties or uncles. Upon hearing Ayaaz's graduation Shabnum was determined to speak her mind and ask Mahnoor, why was she hell bent on keeping him away from her.

"I know things haven't been good with Ayaaz and his father, but now is the time to make it right." Shabnum folded her arms and looked at Mahnoor in the eyes. Her jaw tight, she was determined to snatch Basharat's right.

Mahnoor sighed and dropped her arms by her side.

"Why don't you ask Ayaaz?" Mahnoor stood in the centre with her hand on her hip. "Ayaaz is old enough to decide if he wants help from his father."

Mahnoor couldn't utter her ex-husband's name. His name would leave a foul taste in her mouth. Mahnoor turned and made her way out of the room and into the kitchen. Shabum was on her heels.

"You've brainwashed Ayaaz against his father. He doesn't speak to him, talk to him or anything. Sons need their fathers." Shabnum hounded her ex sister-in-law.

Mahnoor collated the pots and pans trying to make the most noise and drown out Shabnum's nasal grating voice. But Shabnum raised her voice

"You've taken everything from my brother. This house. His life. His son. His reputation. At least let Basharat meet his son." Shabnum stood firm.

"That horrid place is no place for my son." Mahnoor turned. "He made his bed now he must lie on it."

"Oh for God's sake Mahnoor." Shabnum threw her hands in the air. "The world may believe your story, but I don't. People heard the one side of the story. You may go around the world acting like a heroine, but you are far from it. I know the real you." Shabnum leaned closer. "You destroyed your own home with salacious behaviour. Everyone knew the truth about you. My brother was an honourable man, he had to take back his honour. He did what he had to do to restore his honour. You made him- you compelled him by your liberal thinking and your western ways." She waved her finger.
"Now look at you-" She shook her head. "You wear saris, without a scarf on your head and bring non-Muslims into your house. I see what happens, day in and day out." She pointed at the window where she kept her beady eye on the house. "My poor brother was suffering. You destroyed his life."Shabnum licked the sweat off her lip. Passionate anger swept through her veins feeling Basharat's pain.

Mahnoor ran her hands over her face. She looked at Shabnum, a formidable force that would never believe her brother could do a thing wrong.
"I think you should leave." Mahnoor swallowed. Her throat dry.

"This is my brother's house, I won't leave. If you want to go-go! As long as his name is on the deeds I will come and go as I please and see my nephew." Shabum vowed.

At that moment the front door opened and Ayaaz entered. Shabnum quickly rushed to him kissing him and offering him congratulations. Her mood switched from angry, to delightful in a millisecond.
"How are you?" She kissed his cheeks. "Why don't you come over and see your phupi (auntie)? Are you upset with us? The children are always asking about you. You must make time out."

Ayaaz's eyes were rounded and alert observing his mother's reaction. Mahnoor looked at the ground and bided her time.
"You two talk, I'm going to bed." Mahnoor forced a smile and made her way out of the room. However, Ayaaz knew something was wrong when his mother didn't make eye contact. Something had happened.
"What happened mum?" Ayaaz stopped Mahnoor in the hallway. "Did she mention him?"
He couldn't utter his name.
"No darling." Mahnoor ran her hand over his cheek. "I'm tired." She blinked slowly climbed the stairs.
Ayaaz sensed her deflated tone, her avoiding gaze. Mahnoor framed his face with her hands and kissed his forehead. "It's my knee that's playing up again." She lied.
"Shall I run you a bath, mum?"
"You sit with your phupho. She's bought you kheer (rice pudding)."
"Mum you know I hate her cooking. It's disgusting." He pinched the end of his nose.
"Now-now- don't be rude."
"You sure she didn't say anything mean? I know what she's like."
"You go and sit with her. She's alone." She pat his chest with reassurance.
With that Mahnoor left for her bedroom and closed the door leaning her head against the door. Her head was pounding since this morning, and now Shabnum compounded her problems.