Chapter 14: Consequences

When Amirah opened her heavy eye lids climbing out of the darkness, Kara's voice was an echo, like she was far away. Kara sprinkled cold water on her face shaking her out of the shock. Gradually, Amirah sat up on the cold tiles and cast her eyes around the bathroom. Beside the toilet, the positive pregnancy stick lay scattered on the black bathroom tiles like a stark reminder. It was real. She was pregnant.
"Amirah! Amirah!"
Amirah stirred mumbling before coming round and squinting her eyes to the blinding light that splashed through the window.
"Amirah, are you okay?"
Amirah rubbed her eyes.
"Come on Amirah." Kara helped her up to her feet and carried her weight as Amirah staggered into her bedroom. After resting Amirah on her bed, Kara rushed into the kitchen and returned with a tall cool tumbler of water.
"Amirah, you're getting married to Ayaaz soon, why are you so worried? No one needs to know. Once you're married everything will be okay." Kara sat beside Amirah brushing her hair aside.
Amirah looked into the glass of water. "He's broken it off."
"I thought you said he was on his stag do?"
"It was his stag do, but he broke it off before he left."
"Why?"
There was so much to explain and Amirah didn't have the emotional energy to go through it. "Stay with me tonight." Amirah held Kara's hand. "I don't want to go home. I can't face anyone." Amirah's stomach turned with fear at the thought of facing her mother and grandmother. How could she hide the truth?
"I know you probably have some party to go, or friends to meet. You have a busy life." Amirah looked at Kara with hope. "-But tonight, can you stay with me, please?" Amirah implored her only friend that she could rely on.
Kara stroked Amirah's hand in deep contemplation. She couldn't correct Amirah and tell her the ugly reality of her barren life living in an empty apartment, with no real friends. The apartment belonged to one of her clients and he allowed her to stay while he was out of the country; it wasn't home. Her auntie threw her out of the flat due to her late nights and lack of participation in household chores leaving her sofa surfing at friends. She didn't have a true friend or love in her life apart from Amirah. Kara shuffled beside Amirah and lay next to her.
"What about your dad? Will he be back?" Kara looked at the door with furtive hope.
Now that her dad was married, Amirah knew he'd be with Mahnoor. Everything had changed. He used to call her his princess and take the tomatoes out of her salad. Now when he finds out about the pregnancy, he will turn away in aversion. Amirah turned her back to Kara and sobbed her heart into the pillow.
"He's gonna hate me Kara." She wept. "I've disgraced him. How will I ever face him?"
Kara wrapped her arms around Amirah holding her shuddering body. The enormity of the news broke Amirah like a fever. Her future uncertain, Amirah was terrified where life could take her. Confounded in a web of questions, she didn't know what to do, where to go or who to ask for help. All she wanted was her daddy to hold her and tell her everything would be okay. But that wasn't going to happen any time soon.

***

Looking around at the bustling High Street, the lingering smell of baked potatoes from the stall swirled around Mahnoor and settled on her tongue like she could taste it. The jaunty accordion melody filled the street far and wide as the Romanian sat on an upside down bucket and busked for loose change. It was Saturday to the shopping centres were bustling with customers and Mahnoor scanned each and every strangers face for anyone remotely familiar. Shifty eyes, nervous twitchy fingers Mahnoor looked suspicious walking down the house street shoulder her handbag. After Mahnoor left Khizar's apartment, she went home and changed. Khizar arranged to meet her in the city centre. However she was fearful that someone would see them together and rumours would flare. It was dangerous meeting in the open like this, she felt like a college student bunking her class to spend an afternoon ice skating with her mates.

Making her way through the Selfridges Shopping centre, she passed by the ladies section and made her way down the escalator to the men's section. Khizar told her to meet her at one o' clock as he had somewhere important to take her. But why did she have to meet him at the busy bustling shopping centre?