Chapter 15: Mounting Pressure Part II

Sheetal called the next morning, adamant to learn about her meeting with Rajah Naveed, but Mahnoor didn't answer. Sheetal could read the expression on Mahnoor's face and would instantly know something happened. Instead, Mahnoor took the day off for Nadiya as she had to make it up to her for not turning up last night. Mahnoor dressed casually in a pastel white salwar kameez set out to meet Nadiya and her daughters in Stratford Road. She put the ring at the back of her mind; it was time to think about her son's wedding.

After two long hours of choosing the perfect gold set Mahoor stood with Nadiya and Amirah at the sparkling gold counter. Nadiya held the necklace against Amirah's neck.

"There's no point." Amirah complained that she never wore gold.

"Gold is not just an ornament. It's security. When times get tough in marriage, a woman can sell her jewellery to ease difficulties." Nadiya tied the hook in place.

"Mum can I get a gold tooth." Soniya stared into the mirror flashing her gritted teeth.

"Mum we don't live in a village." Amirah stood back as Mahnoor and Nadiya admired the necklace. "We live in England and we have social security."

The jeweller tallied up their total on the calculator bringing the final figure to an eye watering 4 and a half thousand pounds. The bridal set contained 22 carat yellow gold necklace and drop earrings, 10 carat bridal swedding band and 21 carat bracelet set weighing at 58.6 grams for 2 thousand and five hundred pounds. Mahnoor punched her pin into the machine paying a measly deposit of 500 pounds.

"You'll have the rest next weekend." She lied. She had no idea where the money would come from.

Throughout the day Nadiya flashed Khizar's credit card with poise boasting how Khizar allowed her free reign of the spending, leaving her envious. "It's the father who provides for his children. Even though the marriage may break down, he's still responsible and should be there for his children on the important day of their life."

The poignant remark made Mahnoor ponder on whether she should contact Basharat and hope he could make a contribution. The idea was ludicrous at first, but Mahnoor warmed to it more as the day went on. Ayaaz was her and Basharat's only son. Maybe he could ease her money worries?

Should I ask him for money?

Sitting in the restaurant, the gangly, spectacled waiter bought two cups of pink Kashmiri tea to Nadiya and Mahnoor's table. Amirah and Soniya were still in the shops choosing shoes to match their outfits.

"It's so nice to go out. Shopping for me is like a mini-vacation." Nadiya mixed two heaped spoons full of sugar into her cup and sighing with relief. "The boys are a handful and when I take them to Pakistan, it's like I'm working over time."

Mahnoor enjoyed Nadiya's company. Her initial judgement soon melted when Nadiya was secure in her relationship with Amirah. One thing Mahnoor admired was her glossy black bob cut. The cut complimented her round shaped face; she wore a traditional nose ring on the right side of her nose with gold earrings. Nadiya dressed in traditional salwar kameez and spoke less English and more Mirpuri, even though she was British she preferred talking in her mother tongue.

"How is it going with your husband's visa?" Asked Mahnoor.

"The Home Office are being pernickety. They want to know everything and how much money I have in the bank, the size of the house and rooms. So I showed them my boys only live with me. I hope-" she crossed her fingers "-he will arrive in the UK in time for the wedding, or else I don't know how I will handle my boisterous boys. There is so much to be done."