Chapter 24: Spark

Downstairs, Shabum continued to fill Ayaaz's mind against his mother. But there was no need. Ayaaz was already heart broken and betrayed by what he'd heard. He looked at his mother, who sat on the edge of the sofa unable to meet anyone's eyes. Shabnum's nasal voice droned on and on, Basharat glared out of the window channelling his anger.

"Beta, we all know how hard it has been without your dad. But he is here now. He can look after you. This kind of shameless behaviour is a black taint on our family, on you and your wife. What will people say if the mother-in-law is behaving in an inappropriate way with Amirah's uncle?" Shabnum fanned the flames

"Uncle?" He looked at Shabnum, aghast. Kara told him that Khizar married his mother. How did uncle Kabir come into it?

"Yes! It has to be him. Your mother hasn't denied it. Look at the picture, the same jacket. That man is a wretched swine. I won't blame your mother for falling for him in the space of her loneliness."

"Mum?!" Ayaaz stood up. He wanted an answer. He needed her to deny it. He needed her to admit her marriage with Khizar. The uncertainty was driving him crazy. First it was Rajah Naveed who came and proposed to her. He had to throw that nasty man out. Then, it was Kara accusing his mother of marrying Amriah's dad and now it was Uncle Kabir. He felt sick joining these men's name with his mothers; but he could no longer defend her. She was hiding something. She wasn't telling him. Didn't she trust him?
"Tell us, who is this man? Why are you protecting him?" Ayaaz asked.
"I want you both to leave my house. I do not owe you two an explanation." Mahnoor looked at Shabnum. If she was going to admit to keeping secrets, it would be away from Basharat and Shabnum's meddling.
"Because you have something to hide." Shabnum added.
"I have nothing to hide. I want to talk to my son. I will tell him." Mahnoor said.
"What's going on mum? My head is all over the place. I thought we were close. That we had no secrets. But this-" He pointed to the phone.
"Beta listen-" Mahnoor began reaching out to him.
"She's a shameless woman, beta. She cannot be trusted." Shabum pushed Ayaaz back forcing him to act.
"She is clearly trying to hide something. We all know what that dirty pig is like. I knew it, the first time I met him he was all over me." Shabum continued.
"I'm your son. "Ayaaz stressed. "I deserve to know." He pleaded to her.

Mahnoor's heart pounded. Her head thumped. Shabum's interfering created more problems. Mahnoor dried her unshed tears and decided it was time to tell Ayaaz. She had to deal with this situation tactfully.
"Get out of my house!" Mahnoor ordered Basharat. It was time for damage control.
Basharat faced her. He crossed his arms refusing to leave.
"Whatever you have to say to our son, I want to hear it to." His voice low, his anger controlled. Ayaaz stood back allowing his mother and father space. He backed into far end of the room in a corner, preparing himself for the truth that would soon befall him. Basharat approached Mahnoor with Shabum close behind. Intimidating her, the siblings wanted a respectable answer.
"Who is he? What were you doing in the room alone with this man?" Basharat interrogated.
"Look at your son." Shabnum pointed to Ayaaz. "Look at the poor lad. He has been through hell. Have some mercy on him."
Mahnoor's heart plunged in grief looking at her crestfallen son. She should have told him. She should have discussed it with him before she married Khizar. Why did she allow it to get this far? Ayaaz was slipping from her fingers. She couldn't lose him. Tears spilled from her eyes. There was nothing she could say to save her relationship with her son.
"Ayaaz, please-" Mahnoor begged but Basharat stood between them.
"Don't look at him. Answer me!" Basharat's eyes widened. His glare penetrated her evoking painful memories when he'd catch her talking to the man next-door. Being wildly suspicious, even the thought of Mahnoor talking and smiling with a strange man made his blood boil. His curled his hands into balls curbing his anger. His face reddened. The vein in his forehead throbbed. He was ready to deliver an almighty blow.
"WHO IS HE?!" Basharat yelled in rage. Mahnoor cowed raising her right hand in defence to protect her face from his impending strike. She was terrified.
"TELL ME!"