Chapter 25: Flare

The drive was long and silent. Lost in her thoughts, it didn't occur to Mahnoor that Khizar drove out of Birmingham to their private house. It was later when they were in the leafy suburbs she pressed her hand on the dashboard and looked around unable to look through the darkness.
"Where are we?"
"Earlswood."
Congested with worries, Mahnoor was confused why Khizar bought her here. The Raddison was a mere 20 minutes' drive away, what was he doing out here?

On turning the corner he pulled in a drive that was lit by small white solar lights embedded on the lawn in a path. Mahnoor recognised the two stone pillars; it was their large house. Stepping out of the car, the front porch was lit by a sensor lights. A hanging basket like a claw hung just above the front entrance, brimming with pink Petunias, a classic favourite of Mahnoor's. When Mahnoor had a plot at the allotments, she tried to grow pink Petunias but gave up straggling with plants bedraggled by disease and rainstorm. Who nurtured these baskets? Someone was living in the property.

Khizar walked on ahead and opened the front door. The light flickered on. On the floor a brown mat with the white bold letters read, 'Welcome' . A fresh smell of rose and lavender rushed through her nostrils. In the hallway, she spotted a crystal vase with fresh flowers like they were arranged early this morning. Making her way into the house, sepia portraits of Sonya and Amirah when they were little girls running barefoot on the fresh green grass decorated the hallway.

A short woman dressed in black uniform popped out of the kitchen.

"Good evening madam." She greeted with a charming smile. The middle eastern woman wore a tradtional black headscarf and she was excited to meet Mahnoor like she was waiting for her
"Welcome home. I see sir has finally bought you home." She bopped her head at Mahnoor like she was a queen.
The woman scurried past Mahnoor. Khizar thanked her leaving the couple alone. Khizar employed a maid, Mahnoor realised.

Just before the kitchen, two large canvases of the Great Barrier Reef and Fjords in Norway, teased her desires.
"My parents and Kabir are staying the night at the Raddison." Khizar interrupted her peaceful thoughts. "I didn't want to complicate matters by taking you there."
In the kitchen, the strong smell of fresh coffee filled her nostrils. Plates, cups, knives and forks were places strategically on the shelves, making the house feel lived in. The kitchen exuded warmth and happiness which Mahnoor drew strength from, soaking it up like the pink Petunias thirsty in a downpour.
"Who did all this?" Mahnoor looked through the cupboard piled high with delicate crockery.
"I hope you like it."
Mahnoor loved the taste, the light, bright colours and the fabulous array of dishes out on display. It felt like a show room, clean, crisp and tempting. She wanted to take off her shoes and press her toes on the cold tiles. It dawned on Mahnoor that whilst she was riddled with doubts about Khizar's distance, he was preparing their house.
"Our room is up the stairs, second on the left."

Taking off her shoes, her toes sunk into the thick soft beige carpet as she made her way upstairs. Towels were placed on the shelf on the landing ready to use. Inside the large bedroom, the king size bed centred the room. Gentle curves on both the top and bottom rails added to the overall elegance of the frame. The foot end was nice and low in order to help keep an air of space in the bedroom. The new style mink crocodile effect upholstery on the gorgeous bed gave the bed an unusual look and the edges were finished with matching piping. The bedroom evoked warmth and lured Mahnoor into the haven of tranquillity, however Mahnoor felt anything but tranquil.

On the left was a built in wardrobe with the slide doors slight ajar. On opening the door Mahnoor discovered a wardrobe lined with a variety of exquisite dresses. She pulled out a traditional cotton blue paisley kurtha and pressed it against her body. It fit. Another baby pink chiffon dress with delicate white lace border protected in a transparent dust jacket suited her taste.
"I wasn't sure what to buy. The shop assistant was helpful and selected these suits." Khizar leaned against the doorframe watching Mahnoor's hesitate in the room with unease.
"What is all this?" She dropped the dress on the bed. She looked at the dressing table ready with perfumes, creams and brushes.
"This is our home, Mahnoor. Remember the last time I bought you here." Mahnoor folded her arms and hugged her body. How could she forget the moment of passion they shared in this house? But now the luxury, the soft smells and salts felt wrong. How could she live here when Ayaaz was grappling with her betrayal?
"Make yourself comfortable, I'll fix us something to eat." Gently he closed the door allowing her privacy.