Chapter 12: Extinguished Flame

Standing aghast, Amirah couldn't believe what she was seeing. She blinked repeatedly still frozen looking at the sparkling sliver anklet on Kara's ankle that she bought on her trip to Marakech. Dressed in her father's loose white shirt which reached above her thighs, her long silky legs stood exposed. It was clear from Kara's scantily clad state what had happened in the bedroom. Her gasp grabbed Kara and Khizar's attention. The shock. They were caught out.

Khizar shook off Kara and darted out of the room towards Amirah who flinched back with her hands up.

"I can't believe it-" Amirah's voice shivered. "You! And my best friend?" She felt bile rising to her throat. The mere idea made her feel sick. She couldn't even say it out loud. She shook her head unable to get intimate pictures out of her mind. Kara's long sexy legs, her father's large veiny hands. Kara's luscious pink lips and her father's-ugh! No! She lifted her handbag as a barrier between her and her father unable to look at him. She spun on her heel and desperate for a sharp exit.

"Amirah!" Yelled Khizar and grabbed her arm pulling her back. "You've got the wrong idea!"

"Don't!" Amirah raised her finger on the verge of tears. "Don't you dare deny it! She's my friend, dad! She's old as me, 23!" She screwed her nose and shook her arm free.

Kara appeared from the bedroom and leaned against the sofa.

"Look at this-" She gestured to the petals, the candles and romantic meal. "I'm not stupid dad!" She ran her hands over her face wondering if this was just a bad dream.

"Amirah! Just listen to me princess-"

"Don't you dare call me princess!" She pushed him back. "This is twisted. It's disgusting that my friend is in your bedroom with nothing on but your shirt."

He shook his head with frustration. How could explain this extenuating circumstances? Even he was confused.

"How long has this been going on?" Amirah's eyes searched for an answer. 

"For God's sake Princess, give me some credit, I do have some self-respect." He snapped in anger. 

But she couldn't stand in the apartment any longer. The stench of rose oil suffocated her and she needed fresh air.

Amirah made a run for the door and ran along the hallway. She thumped the lift button but it would take too long, instead she made her way to the staircase and ran out of the building.

Sitting in the taxi, the rain beat down the window pane. She pulled the sleeves of her jumper over her hands biting her fingernails. She couldn't go home. If her mum found out, she was sure it would cause mayhem between her parents.

"Alum Rock!" Her quivering voice ordered the driver.

All she could think of was Ayaaz; she needed him.

***
It was quarter to ten when Mahnoor sat at the dining table completing the accounts for the Foundation. She took off her glasses, sipped her cup of chamomile tea and rubbed her eyes turning her attention to the news. But her mind was occupied with the wedding, it took a large chunk of her time and Amirah and Ayaaz hadn't decided on the wedding clothes. However, it was the financial burden that set off the migraine in the corner of her head. Ayaaz had limited funds and she saved a small amount of money. The thought of asking Basharat was out of the question. So, she clicked on the laptop searching for personal loans.

At that moment the door bell rang, making her wonder who it could be at a late hour. When she opened the door, Amirah stood at the door, wet from the rain with a look of distress on her face.

"Beti? What are you doing here?" Mahnoor was surprised and looked behind Amirah for her parents.

Amirah marched straight in and paced the lounge. She continued to bite her nails making Mahnoor concerned.