Chapter 22: The Wedding- Part IV

The hall buzzed with excited chatter and children ran between the tables in a good-natured game of tag. Under the loud music bouncing on the wall, families reunited creating an exciting atmosphere of joy. Women dressed in their finery taking pictures with their family and cackling with laughter. Weddings were a time for people to catch up on the latest gossip. Mahnoor mingled her way through the crowd meeting and greeting the family members and welcoming them to her son's wedding. Her wide smile filled face, her cheeks splashed rouge when guests complimented her attire and her hard work with Basharat was by her side sharing the good wishes. He charmed the guests making it appear that he was the devoted father who helped his son reach the milestone in his life. Mahnoor allowed him to shimmer under the limelight, and worked with him today to appear to have a united team.

"Are you two still together?" Asked an intrigued distant uncle.

"Oh no!" Mahnoor quickly corrected. "We're divorced. It's been nearly seven years."

"It's nice to see a divorced couple so amicable. Ayyaz is lucky to get the best of both words."

Later Basharat made his way to his sister who sat mope on a corner table.

"You call this a hall?" Shabnum moaned. "Where is the separation? Men and women should be separated. But nowadays, everyone wants to be modern and westernized." Shabnum sucked her teeth with anger. "Look at the men, gawping at the woman. It's disgraceful."

Secretly, Basharat agreed. "Who is he?" He hinted to Kabir.

"That's Amirah's thaya (elder paternal uncle.) Kabir."

"I don't like the way he looks at the women." Basharat grit his teeth.

Shabnum snorted. "This is what the men want. That's why they choose a mixed hall; to ogle the overly dressed women. There are many halls in Birmingham, why come to this westernised dive? Is the food even halal?" She questioned.

"The food has come from outside. Muslim caterers." Basharat defended Mahnoor's choice.

"22 thousand pounds just to book the hall! Without the food?! What nonsense! Where did she get such a large amount of money?"

"I gave her. After all, Ayaaz is my son."

Shabnum disliked how her brother stood up for Mahnoor. "After one ride with her you're on her side? What magic has she done over you?"

Basharat rapped his knuckles. "You know sis, after so long I feel hope." He thumped his hard chest. "We spoke in the car and listened to some old songs. I will be back with my family soon." He celebrated privately with his sister.

"Are you going to forgive her after everything she put you through? 4 and a half years in jail! She robbed you of your freedom." Shabum reminded.

"I've forgiven her. We're going to move on." Basharat looked over at Mahnoor. "I can feel it. She needs a man in her life to take care of her."

Shabnum was doubtful.

Kashif came running by poking the camera at the brother and sister. "Daffeh!" She swatted him away. "Put that away." But he ran away with his mobile phone up to mischief.

***

Standing with his sister, Khizar's beady eyes were on Mahnoor charming the crowd. She was talking to everyone but avoided him. Every now and again he caught her eyes and held them for a few stolen moments.

"Beta, whose wedding is it?" Farooq Khan looked at his son Khizar puzzled by the lights and noise. He didn't want to be here. The lights were blinding and the noise unbearable. Why did they force him to come?