Chapter 14: Night of Revelations.

Arranging her damp pashmina shawl over her shoulders, Mahnoor was determined to take Khizar to the hospital. He sat on the far end of the sofa.

"Khizar, Kara is just a kid." She pressed. "She is naive and stupid. Surely you can see beyond what she did tonight?"

He looked at Mahnoor and scoffed with malice. "She wasn't a kid when she waltzed into my apartment dressed in lacy red lingerie." He shot to his feet and turned his back on Mahnoor.

"I know Amirah was upset with what she saw." Mahnoor stood up and shadowed him piling on the pressure. "But I don't see the problem, you have full right to be with a woman."

"What do you take me for?!" He spun round, his face reddened in anger. "I don't sleep around, even if a young pretty girl who throws herself at me."

"No-I didn't mean that-" Mahnoor backed away in loss.

He leaned into her. "If-that's a big if-I get into a relationship-" His tone was loud and harsh. "It will be with a confident, sophisticated woman who doesn't beg for attention."

When he withdrew, the broken silence mended itself. Mahnoor swallowed hard in regret. "I'm sorry. I better go." Mahnoor shouldered her handbag shaking her head in frustration.

"Mahnoor-" He called out in regret. "Don't go." He traced her footsteps. "I shouldn't have spoken to you like that." She stopped ready to listen. "I've dragged you into my mess. If it wasn't for you my daughter would still think I'm some sort of pervert."

It was a long night. His head pounded, his stomach grumbled and his eyelids were heavy. He couldn't think straight. But Mahnoor was here, standing in his apartment in an adorable violet kameez that looked an inch short. Maybe it was the latest fashion; he didn't know and didn't care for latest trends. The rain matted her hair against her forehead and the sweet earthly smell expiated the scent of melted wax. He couldn't allow her to leave like this and offered her a hot drink. Reluctantly she accepted and took a seat on the sofa. "Coffee. Black. No sugar."

When Khizar returned into the lounge, Mahnoor gladly accepted wrapping her hands around the hot cup warming her hands for comfort. They both sat down in silence nursing their drinks.

"Did you know Kara felt this way?" Mahnoor's tone was now soft and gentle.

Khizar looked out of the window. The rain was gentle and he recalled the night he dropped Kara at home.

"I'll be honest with you Mahnoor." He began in a humble tone hanging his head. "I'm an idiot." He admitted. "An old fool trying to get in with the kids. I can't even text properly, just desperate for a bit of attention." His tone sombre. "I was enjoying the attention. I mean who wouldn't, when a 23 year old beautiful young woman admits to a man in his mid forties that she goes weak at the knees and finds him attractive."

Mahnoor listened attentively appreciating his honesty. "She said that?"

He sipped and then replied. "Yes. When I dropped her off that night. It was clear in her eyes, but I didn't give it a second thought. Suddenly a deluge of texts flooded my mobile. At first it was harmless flirting, silly messages. She made me feel ten feet taller. I guess I missed that connection, that feeling-" He pressed his hand on his heart. "-from here. He looked up and met her gaze emphasising his raw emotions. "It made me feel warm to know someone was thinking about me, caring about me and even missed me. Doesn't everyone want that? To be loved?"

Mahnoor heart jumped at the thought. The amount of times she cried to sleep thinking she could never love again tore her to shreds. Her heart was broken beyond repair. She understood where he was coming from and bowed her head in agreement. He stood up with one hand holding the cup and the other in his trousers pocket.