Chapter 11: Secret Liaisons

Nadiya Imran returned in a hurry from Pakistan. Since she re-married she was convinced Khizar and his family pushed her out of Amirah's life. Today, gate crashing her daughter's engagement her suspicions proved true. She wasn't going to let her ex-husband off that easily.

Standing in the front doorway was Amirah's sister, Soniya Khan with her 8 month old brother on her hip. As usual she was left holding the baby and thrust from the family celebrations. It was the only reason her mother her took her to Pakistan, so she could baby sit whilst she goes out on special dates with her young husband. Soniya hated both her parents. In their bid to compete against each other, she felt like collateral damage. Even her sister, Amirah, didn't give her a second thought.

"Saadi! Get back here!" She fought back her tears and called out to her 2 year old brother who ran around the expensive cars.

From the street, Soniya observed a Caucasian young boy, smartly dressed in a navy smart sleek suit with his blonde hair designed in a quiff. When he walked towards the house, into the drive way she stood on guard wondering why he was approaching the house. She stood in front of the door in bewilderment.

"Excuse me." She blocked the doorway. "Where do you think you're going?"

"Inside?" Ismail Qureshi pointed.

Soniya's 8 month brother, Muddasar, reached out for Ismail Qureshi's jacket.

Soniya scoffed with laughter. "We're all brown people in here. We didn't reserve a place for a blonde version of Shawn Mendes."

"No-my uncle is in there-"He mumbled his defence in vain.

"Who? Uncle Warleggen Mendes?" She stifled her laughter watching his blank expression. Ismail Qureshi mustered his courage in front of the insolent girl. He was impartial to such comments, this girl was something else. He cleared his throat and held his head up high recalling what he father taught him.

Look them in the eye and play them at their own game.

"Is it because I is a gora?" he replied in a strong Jamaican accent with a touch of Urdu. Soniya's smiled cracked. "I'm from the dulha's (groom) side."

It sounded strange hearing Urdu spoken from his foreign mouth; like cutting open a pie to find traditional delicious haleem oozing forth.

"My dad is Feroz Qureshi and his cousin in Ayaaz who is marrying Amirah." He smoothed his jacket and played with Mudassar's small hand. "So, you owe me an apology."

Soniya refused to admit defeat feeling foolish. She didn't know anything about her future brother in law's family and this upset her. She tightened her jaw refusing bow down to disappointment.

"I know how this works." Ismail shook Muddasar's hand. "The dulha's side are treated like royalty. So I want a maafi (apology) for mistaking me for the lame Shawn Mendes." He continued to add Urdu words winding her up. It didn't make sense. How could a blonde hair, blue eyed boy speak such good Urdu!?

Soniya's face reddened with mortification. Ismail's eyes were mesmerising ocean blue and deep, together with blonde hair there was no sign of his Pakistani roots. It was an easy mistake to confuse him for an outsider. She turned her face away from Ismail and poked her nose in the air. There would be no apology from her today.

"Whatevs!" She pushed passed him and made her way outside.

Ismail watched Soniya handle her two young siblings. Dressed in white trainers, black leggings and a floral printed dress, she was contrast to her sweet and hospitable sister. The girl was sour, defiant with lovely thick eyelashes. He grinned and made his way inside.