Chapter Six: Meet the Parents

Saturday arrived and Mahnoor stacked the sandwiches in trays in a large box. Last night she spent the evening making the sandwiches and prepping the biryani for the morning. She taped the lid onto the piping hot fresh biriyani ready to load into the car.

It was a breezy afternoon and Mahnoor arranged a brisk jog with Sheetal later that afternoon. Dressed in navy blue navy blue jeggings, trainers, black t-shirt matching hoodie and a pashmina stole around her neck, she carried the boxes to the car.

Outside a green Subaru with blacked out windows, vibrated with pounding bass.

"Laters blud!" Ayaaz bumped fists with his friend.

"Oh! Finally you've arrived." Mahnoor complained and opened the car boot of her car. "I've been waiting for you."

"Salaam auntie." Amir yelled from the car.

"How are you Amir?" Mahnoor lifted her hand. "When are you going to check my car?" She asked. "It keeps making a noise when I brake."

"Auntie, just drop it off at the garage, or tell Ayaaz to."

"Mum, where are you going?" Ayaaz looked at the boot filled with delicious food.

"The food drive. I told you. It's Saturday." She spanked his head.

"Shit!" Ayaaz cursed. Dressed in knee length shorts and a t-shirt, Ayaaz raced inside to change his clothes.

"Where are you going?" Mahnoor complained.

"Changing my clothes." He shouted back.

"Why? We're only going to the food drive."

Before she could say another word, he was gone.

"Do you need a hand with that?" Amir jumped out the car offering his support.

"Thank you, beta! I've told Ayaaz countless of time to take the car to the garage, but he wastes his time playing computer games."

"He's stuck to that console like Velcro. You won't get him off that." Amir snickered.

Every Saturday, Mahnoor and her team at Malikah Foundation booked a table in Birmingham city centre and networked with voluntary organisations to deliver essential service to the homeless. Tables of food and drink, tea, biscuits were given free to the homeless all donated from businesses, and the generous public. In addition to food, essential health care, advice service, sanitary equipment and support was given to the homeless who were ostracised and couldn't access the services. The aim of the compulsory service was to reach out to those who slept rough and nourish their basic needs and Mahnoor was instrumental in organising her team on a Saturday to help.

Once they'd arrived at the food drive their stall was already heaving with a line of people as Sheetal loaded sandwiches and food into their trays

"Thank God you've come. I was just about to ring you." Sheetal welcomed Mahnoor.

Shadowing Mahnoor was Ayaaz who carried the rest of the pots to the stall and placed them behind ready to be served. He took out his mobile and texted Amirah that they had arrived.

Part one of the plan was on track.

The atmosphere was buzzing at Carrs Lane like a festival. In the throngs of the service users, religious figures from all faiths came out and practised their humanitarian relief and welcomed the homeless with a warm smile and kind words.

As Mahnoor greeted every person who she gave a plate of rice to, she noticed someone was missing.

"Olivia not here today?" Mahnoor smiled at the service users.