Chapter 10: Fezophie

Amirah's engagement was held at her uncle Kabeer's estate tucked away in a leafy cul-de-sac in Nottingham. The detached house compromising of 8,000 sq ft of living space sat on a 1.01 acre corner plot on a private road custom built for Kabeer's family and an extended annexe for his parents at the back of the house. Living space was tailored to the family's requirements, hence five super-size bedrooms all with en suite bathrooms. The substantial house had super flexible living accommodation with 5 reception rooms and 6 bathrooms. In the front drive four luxury sports cars added style to the grand modern day home.

Inside, the lady of the house Zulekha Khan organised the chaos that descended in her house. The family arrived and it was her role to organise the important day. Amirah had three paternal aunties and two uncles with Kabeer being the eldest and her father being the second in command. Due to Farooq Khan's ailing health and onset of dementia the engagement was held at their stately home so he didn't need to travel to Birmingham.

Large vessels of biryani, brown rice, chicken and meat curry arrived from the caterers. Outside on the large lawn, Kabeer's teenage sons started the barbeque heating the coal so the younger clan could have a choice of various burgers if the curries were too spicy for their taste.

Inside one of the many bedrooms, Amirah sat in front of the dressing table dressed in a royal purple bhagalpuri silk long choli lehnga. Beautifully adorned with embroidered foliage designs on the yoke, sleeves and the hemline, it was the cut work which gave the perfect look to the outfit. Nervous, scratching her arm, the stone work scratched her skin causing her skin to flash red. Kara pinned her long hand embroidery duppatta (headscarf) over her shoulder. With her hair straightened to perfection, Amirah pinned on her diamond earrings for the special occasion. Kara arrived early to do her make- up and hair. The nerves were starting to show when Amirah wanted to bite her artificial nails which Kara applied with precision.

"Stop that." Kara smacked her hand.

"I can't believe this is happening! It's finally coming true." Amirah looked at her reflection unable to recognise her eyes decorated in a smoky eye shadow, artificial eyelashes and winged eyeliner. Her lips glittered with a sparkle of lavender to match her dress.

"What happened that night when you kicked me out of your apartment?" Kara mumbled with a pin between her teeth. Amirah's cheeks flushed crimson when she recalled Ayaaz's gentle hands brushing against her waist. He was gentle, sweet and caring and the dream of becoming his wife charged her with excitement. My husband!

"Oh? You're going to be like that?" Kara looked into the mirror reading her coy expression.

"Don't come crying to me if you need the morning after pill." Kara teased.

"Oi, it's not like that." Amirah's eyes widened at the thought.

"The question is, can Ayaaz wait for 6 months until the wedding?" Kara straightened her duppatta around the front. "Especially after seeing you looking so stunning, he won't be able to hold back. Poor guy." Kara's glass bangles jingled when she moved her arms around Amirah's face.

A knock on the door interrupted them, Zulekha peered her head in. "Amirah your dad is here."

Amirah's stomach filled with excitement hearing her father's name. She couldn't wait to meet him dressed in her finest on the most important day of her life. The dream she dreamt; her father bought to life.

"Wait here." Kara placed the pins on the table and grabbed her clutch bag. "I'll bring him to you."

With a skip in her step, Kara felt the brush of the cold air against her bare arms. Kara's simplistic Patiala (baggy) white salwar (trousers) with a short thigh length sleeveless kameez (top) that pinched in the right places contouring her assets; embellished her with a traditional Pakistani look. Her green stone earrings complemented the glimmer in her green eyes that set sights on the doorway waiting for someone special.