Chapter Nine: Turning a Corner.

Standing in the doorway, Mahnoor watched the red lights fade into darkness. She wasn't sure what she said to make Khizar storm off but she couldn't deny the writing written on the wall; it was a resounding no. He'd rejected the proposal. Across the road at number 32 the dark curtains twitched, Shabnum appeared in the doorway.

Of course she must have seen it all!

Mahnoor let out an exasperated sigh and made her way inside with Shabnum hobbling her way over the road and demanding to know what happened. "Who was that man?" Shabnum stood in the doorway with her hands on her hips waiting for an answer.

Mahnoor held her silence and threw her shawl aside.
"Thanks to your brother, Ayaaz won't be getting married!" Mahnoor sighed in despair. "That was the Amirah's dad. He's found out about Ayaaz's brutal and violent dad and refused to give his daughter. After all which respectable family would let Basharat's son marry their princess?!"

Shabnum shook her head thinking nothing of it.

"Is that it?! What's the big deal?" Shabnum chuckled. "Who is the girl? Some princess? There are hundreds of girls out there."

Shabnum took a seat and switched on the television making herself at home. As far as she was concerned she was pleased that the proposal broke off. She'd always hoped Ayaaz would wed a girl in the family.

"Who will give their daughter to us?" Mahnoor stood over her.

"There are many single girls in the family; you should stop pleasing these kinds of pompous people. They're not like us."

"But Amirah is Ayaaz's happiness."

"You mark my words Mahnoor. "Shabnum waved her finger. "Without Basharat's blessing this wedding will not go ahead. Unless you involve Basharat, you won't get anywhere! You need him." She declared. "You're a single, divorced, weak, woman, you can't do anything in our society! Without a man, there is no honour."

It was the constant jibes which dragged Mahnoor down, time after time. Whenever she worked tirelessly to make something of her life, family around her pulled her back down and stamped her with the 'single, weak, divorced' woman badge branding her useless. In their eyes Mahnoor was a half a person without Basharat. They were convinced she needed Basharat back in her life in order for her to be successful. However, Mahnoor was determined to prove them wrong.

"I'm not in the mood to argue with you." Mahnoor switched off the kitchen light and tidied up ready for bed. "Sit. Make yourself a cup of tea. Check my cupboards. Check my fridge." She pointed to the kitchen. "There is the phone-" She handed her the cordless phone. "-Ring your brother and celebrate Ayaaz's bad news and close the door on your way out. I'm going to bed." With a slam of the door she walked out.

In the solitude of her dimly lit bedroom, Mahnoor pulled out the ribbon from her auburn hair, shaking her head. She stood in the mirror gazing at her oval shaped face framed with tight bouncing curls. However, Mahnoor saw a distorted image opposed to her glowing, porcelain skin; she could still see the purple bruises around her eyes. A swollen cut lip. Blotchy, angry, red skin.

Taking a facial wipe she wiped the layer of foundation from her neck and shoulders. On the left side of her neck, she revealed a red scar. Khizar was right. Only a doctor could recognise a strangulation mark from afar. She lied to him in order to protect her son's future. It was the only way. The scar healed but the memories of that fatal day was fresh like Shabnum's curses. Running her fingertips over her battle scar, she recalled the moment she fought for her life; the day was crystal clear.

Ayaaz was 10 years old when Mahnoor planned her escape plan for 6 whole weeks. Her body was emotionally and physically drained from the abuse. All Mahnoor desired was to sleep peacefully without worrying about the next argument. Passports, clothes, bank cards and Ayaaz's school uniform were tucked in a bag, hidden in the loft. It was the fourth time she planned to leave Basharat, and this time she promised on her son's life, she would never return. It was 7 minutes past 2 in the morning when Mahnoor sneaked out of her home and closed the front door with Ayaaz and left her husband who was dead asleep.