Chapter 41: The One That Got Away

"How can I ever repay you?" I say as I lean back into the passengers seat as Rayleen begins to drive us back to her hotel.

The leather of the car felt almost comforting as I rolled down the window to inhale the fresh air.

I was appreciating the little things in life.

"Stop thanking me. Aaron and Damon told me you were here and I drove here as fast as I could." She says as I admire her red hair sleeked back into a bun.

Her baby bump was forming and her long legs were covered by her tight blue jeans and sweatshirt.

"How is he? Damon?" I ask and she looks at me smiling.

"He's doing well. He's recovering quickly and is already sick of bed rest." She says and I feel a weight being lifted off of me.

He was okay.

"I don't know what I'm going to do about everything else though." I say with a shrug.

"Don't worry. I'll get you the best lawyer there is." She assures, gleaming at me.

Reminding me of the same grin her daughter, Gabriella had given me.

"I can't let you do that. Emily took all of my money so I couldn't possibly pay you back." I say and she begins shaking her head immediately.

"I don't care! Don't worry about paying me back. I'll take care of everything." She says and I lean back.

This was out of my reach and for once, I was going to allow someone to help me.

Not to mention I was practically desperate for help.

"Besides, the higher the paid lawyer, the more likely you'll win. Strategy will be different and so will everything else. My husband is away on training for the upcoming season and Gabriella and Evan are with their grandmother. Amy and her husband are still getting used to parenthood." She explains, so basically she had her reason to stay with me.

"Why are you doing this for me?" I ask her.

She was a rich wealthy business woman, with a husband and kids...a life.

"Because I know it feels to be victimized." That's all she needs to say because it was partially true.

I was a victim of a crime, but I hated to have that as a label for myself.

"We can also go see Damon soon if you would like." She offers.

"I would most definitely love that." I say honestly.

Her hotel was quite large and had a second bedroom for me to stay, I walk in and sit down on the large love seat and watch as she pulls out her cellphone.

She was calling for a lawyer and left me to do whatever I pleased.

I heard a knock on the door and rose to my feet.

My eyes widened as I noticed the face almost immediately.

The once blonde hair turned brown and her bright face had shaped gracefully.

"Haley." I say flatly. It was my sister.

She smiles at me and looks behind me. "Rosie," She says simply and I bite my lip nervously. What did she want?

"What are you doing here?" I growl at her and she frowns. "I've been searching for you, I wanted to see if you were safe." She says simply and I frown, what did she mean?

"Oh God, you think I'm still apart of them dont you?" She says slowly, she looked hurt by the thought. As if it was so absurd that it shouldnt have even crossed my mind. 

I look behind her and back away. "Maybe you should come in." I mumble and she steps forward.

I notice she's wearing a long coat and boots, her hair is up in a ponytail and she bleached her hair but it suited her. Her emerald green eyes were detailed with black eyeliner. "I heard." She says and I suck in my cheeks and turn around, leading her into the living area. "Our family never changed. Once the sirens were heard, everyone started running." I say and I watch as she studies my face.

"You changed too." She simply says in a hypnotic voice.

Haley and I looked alike, we were only a year apart and everyone thought we were twins.

"How'd you find me?" I whisper, denying her random statement. But I knew exactly what she had meant. "Rayleen found me. I've been looking for you, for months." She says with alight delicate voice. "Why?" I ask.