11~FRANCIS-Communication

You know how there is this superstition that you wake up when someone stares at you when you are asleep? Its a little rumor that it is supposed to explain why you wake up in the middle of the night for no reason. It is a terrible attempt at comfort really... Why would anyone want to even kindle the belief that something watches them in their sleep? Talk about creepy. The reality is I hope it has some truth to it. I'm desperate to see Torrun and I find myself staring at her in an attempt to maybe cause her to wake. I'm going crazy....

It isn't like Thor would let me try anything. He didn't understand the whole 'true love's kiss' thing. Apparently they don't have that fairytale on Asgard. I did ask him if he would at least permit me to do it. He responded with a firm no. It was worth a shot.... The truth is I'm exhausted with the whole ordeal. Sometimes doing nothing is more tiring than doing everything.

I groan and stretch my arms as I move to a sitting position. After I recovered from the whole in my chest I insisted on sleeping on the floor of the chamber that holds Torrun. Each night I throw a blanket down in the farthest corner and lay so that my body is on it. It is extremely thin, but at least it provides a barrier between the cold stones and my skin. It doesn't do anything for the hardness of ground.... I've gotten used to the stiffness in my back and legs that results from my position on the floor. I quickly push myself to a standing position and then bend over to pull the blanket into the air so I can fold it.

I don't think Thor is quite hospitable of guests...or perhaps he doesn't like me staying here... I just won't leave her side. When she wakes I want to be there to see her face light up. Thor does understand my reluctance to leave so he hasn't tried to persuade me otherwise. I've been here so long I'm not sure he even remembers I exist....

I adjust my tunic so that it is straight and do my best to wrestle the wrinkles out of the fabric. I ruffle my hair which is my method of styling it. The light is seeping through the window places Torrun in a sort of spotlight. My stomach grumbles and I am reminded that I haven't eaten in ten hours. Food is a necessity. Luckily I befriended one of the kitchen maids earlier in my stay. One time on my way to a lesson with Fandral, I bumped into a little girl who was carrying a platter of food for one of the guards. The soup she had made went flying everywhere. Since it was my fault I helped her dab it off the ground and carry it back to the kitchen. In the short time that we spent together I learned learned that she was eight years old and the daughter of the head cook. She seemed to like me a lot so she often stopped by for a visit until it became a regular routine for her to bring me breakfast in the mornings.

Elodie quietly slips into the room and I can smell the sausage from my position near the window

"Morning." I greet her as she walks towards me.

She smiles and passes me the plate with food. I take it and start to devour the piece of bread.

"You seem to be well rested." She says in her Asgardian manner of speaking.

It has taken me some time to get completely used to their way of phrasing and speaking. For an eight year old she has a level of intelligence that is incredible. Sometimes she uses vocabulary that I don't even know.

"Yeah. I slept pretty good. The floor treated me well pretty well today. What about you? You get some sleep?"

I sit on the ground with a thud and she takes a seat in front of me. She looks at me with innocent curiosity and takes a moment to think.

"I did not get as much sleep as I would prefer. My mother woke me up early this morning to help prepare breakfast."

Now that I think of it, she looks a little more tired than usual. Her silvery eyes have dark circles around them.

"Ew. I'm sure that wasn't fun."

A frown crosses her small features.

"No it was not."

She stands up from the floor and looks down at me. Her lips form a even deeper frown and she seems a little disappointed

"My mummy told me that I needed to hurry right back down to the kitchens. We have a lot to prepare today and one of the other workers is sick today. I have to leave."

"Oh...okay. I guess I'll see you later."

I give her a friendly smile and she gives me a grin in return. As the starts to walk away I call to her one last time.

"G'bye Elodie!"

She leaves my room skipping and humming some Asgardian tune. She really is a sweet little girl. I don't normally find myself enjoying the company of children, but she is alright. She brings me food and that is a sure way to win the heart of a Barton. Food and coffee....If only there was coffee on Asgard...

Normally, when she stops by she asks me a question about earth and human culture. She is so curious about my world that when she learned I was not from Asgard she seemed a bit clingy. I guess the idea that I had been to another realm sparked her curiosity. I drink from the mug she brought me which has some kind of warm liquid that has hints of cinnamon. After finishing the bread I eat the piece of sausage that is the last bit of food on the plate.

I stand again with the intention to take the dishes down to the kitchen so they can be washed, but as I start to exit the room I see the looming figure of Thor walking down the hall.

"Francis," His commanding voice says when he sees me.

I stop in my tracks and wait for him.

"I have an urgent matter to discuss with you."

"Ok-"

Before I can respond he leads me back into the room and closes the door behind us. He must not want other people to hear what he has to say....

"She spoke to me."

I drop the dishes onto the floor and I grimace as they shatter on impact. Way to go Barton....

"What?-"

Thor completely disregards the fact that I have completely demolished some pottery and steps right onto the shards so he can get closer to Torrun.

"She described how you cared for her on Midgard and defended her from the clutches of Doom. I offer you my thanks for that."

SHE TALKED TO HIM!!!! DOES THIS MEAN I CAN TALK TO HER? SHE IS ALIVE!

"CAN I TALK TO HER? IS SHE OKAY? WHA-"

Thor motions for me to calm down.

"Her power is limited right now. The Odinforce allows her to communicate with Asgardians, but she is very weak. Her power and very soul is being stolen by Hela, ruler of Nifleheim. Hela was proclaimed the ruler of the dead by my father Odin and she has plotted many times before to take over Valhalla. I imagine that this is one of her very schemes."

Who? Hela....ruler of the dead? This can't be good...what is Valhalla? I have so many questions, but I am relieved to know that Torrun is alive.

"What are we going to do about it?"

A/N: I'm so excited! :D Hela is such a great character to use and I think it will be fun to bring her into the story! I'm sorry for the slow updates ): I am so busy right now which makes it difficult to keep a routine.