26-JAMES-Mist and Shadows Part 1

A/N: I am so sorry for how long its been since I updated

A/N: I am so sorry for how long its been since I updated. This chapter was extremely difficult for me. This chapter is dedicated to MClassic . Thank You for your encouragement.

Song is "Dear X" by Disciple

When I finally open my eyes darkness shrouds my vision. I search for some kind of light...something to pierce the sullen darkness, but all I can see is....nothingness.... Its an eerie calm. Personally I had expected a spiraling mess of skulls, spirits, and who knows what....The stuff nightmares are made of. Instead all we are met with is eerie calm.

"I don't like it," A voice to my left mutters.

I take a step forwards and nearly collide with Francis. "Watch it."he says as he places a hand on my shoulder.

Suddenly there is a pulsating light originating behind me. Blue electricity courses between Azari's hands as he offers the only illumination. It pops and crackles loudly which shatters the quiet ambience.

"Is this it?" I ask, hoping that one of my friends has an answer.

"It can't be. I've seen the murals...the lore...this is supposed to be a place of terror. Not...whatever this is...." Francis says angrily.

"Maybe the gold dude sent us to the wrong realm. I mean my neighborhood is scarier than this." Petra slides a knife into her sheath and crosses her arms comfortably.

Azari's eyes glow as blue as he channels more electricity and sends it up into the air like a beacon of light. It fizzles out and dissipates above us.

In the brief light that it gives I notice some kind of building that leads off into the distance.

"Did you guys see that?" I ask, referring to my brief vision.

"Looked like some kind of architecture, but there were so many shadows I couldn't quite make it out," Azari says with a shrug.

I can just barely see his expression due to his soft glow.

"It was a colonnade, leading up to a staircase. I couldn't see past that."

Francis' vision is superior to mine so I am not surprised he was able to identify the shapes.

Now that Azari and Francis have brought my attention to it, I can see a soft green light flickering, and radiating from that area. A point to pierce the darkness...

"Okay. Let's move out. We stick together. We might as well check it out before asking Heimdall to bring us back." I order while slowly trudging forward. I keep my hands in front of me as if they could part the fog like darkness before me.

Step. Shuffle. Step. I follow this rhythmic pattern as I try and find my way towards the shadowed figures. Each step I take seems to bring me no closer to the slight gleam of the green flame.

"Hey, are you guys seeing this? I don't think we've moved at all..."

The only answer to my question is silence.

"Francis? Azari? Petra?" I raise my voice to a yell. Perhaps they are just a little bit too far away to hear me....

Still, no one replies. Great...I'm alone.... I only hope they will be there when I finally make it to the destination. For the first time in ages a sound other than my own voice shatters the quiet.

"James....James...James....." I shudder as I listen to a harrowing whisper echoing my name.

"James! James....JAMES!" The voice echoes around me and leaves me unbalanced and unsteady. I break into a run, determined to get away from the unknown creature. Ghosts? Goblins? Demons? I guess anything is possible here.... Even as I sprint the voice only seems to get louder and frighteningly more familiar.

"James, You're here!"

My mother's voice rattles through my head and I find myself unable to even walk. Mom? Where are you? She's alive. She must be.

Hope surges through my chest as I look around, seeking to find her. C'mon...show yourself....

"James." This time a man speaks. A man I've known all my life. Dad.....it can't be...

I slam my eyes shut and tilt my face towards the ground, trying to bottle the emotions that are threatening to escape. Tears manage to slip from my closed eyelids and I hear them smack my leather armor as they fall. You're on a mission....Put yourself together...Your team needs you...Trust nothing....

"James, you're safe now. We've finally found you."

I open my eyes, but refuse to lift my head, fearing what I might see. Or what might not be there...

"Son, We are so proud of you." My father's words weaken my resolve. If they are here.....whether dead or alive....I....I need to know....

I hesitantly gaze forward until I see the ashen faces of my parents before me. Pale and lacking all color their appearance is occasionally distorted by the fog swirling at their feet.

"Mom? Dad?" My mouth is dry as I address the images of my parents before me.

"Oh James, how we've missed you!" My mother says as a warm smile spreads across her face.

"I've missed you too...." I say with my voice trailing off as I try to make sense of what is happening.

"You're so big and strong! No longer our little boy!" My father exclaims.

"How are you here?"

My mother looks puzzled at my abrupt remark.

"Why...James...We've been here, waiting for you! We knew you would come to us."

But....you're dead....

"You've accomplished so much, James. You must be tired and surely many questions. Come with us and we will make sure you get the rest and answers you deserve."

I wrench my sword out of the sheath and point it towards them. I've had enough of Hela's games....

"YOU...are not my father. Neither are you my mother," I exclaim while taking a few steps backwards. "My parents would never want me to join them....they made enormous sacrifices that I might live. You are nothing, but shadows of their likeness. Dead."

They stare at me with blank expressions before bowing their heads and fading into the mists. They're gone...

While I am left rattled, I feel strengthened by the fact that I did not succumb to Hela's trick. The darkness seems to part before me and I notice that I am standing at the beginning of the colonnade. The green light I saw originates from the torches that are fastened to each column. Beautiful, but ominous the ornate architecture leads to a gnarled throne. Hela...